Feedback and closing posts

IAC General Discussions
col lamb

Feedback and closing posts

Post by col lamb »

How about giving feedback to any answers to the questions that you asked?

Then closing the post, with a simple.........job, done, thanks

Also what is the point of asking a question if after two weeks you have not responded to the answers given?

This is the case with certain posts within this forum
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Re: Feedback and closing posts

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good point.

There is a cultural swing away from acknowledgements and thanks, which I regret.

But there is also the possibility that people may be away on holiday, in hospital ... or still struggling to apply the solutions offered. It is a bit like sending your movie off to a club or person and not hearing so much as a thanks, let alone a comment. (Which reminds me that there are some DVDs awaiting my attention ...)
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Very true Dave

Its a fact that if we look back through posts not just on this forum but on others that problems are often solved fairly quickly so it does seem strange that in one case after two weeks the original poster has not responed despite him posting on other topics.

Offering the right advice is more complicated today because of a plethora of software that is available.

I am OK on technical queries relating to PC's (25 years experience using and building them), OK on Premiere and other Adobe Products and Edius, the rest is outside my area of expertise and only general advice can be given.

I stopped posting on the DV Doctor website for 5 years because I was spending all my time helping others and not doing my hobby, now I restrict what I do and gladly support this forum by checking every day for posts and also more frequently, those that have my personal e-mail or telephone number tend to get their problem sorted rather quicker.

That said I am not adverse to getting problems myself that I cannot resolve, on the GV forum I posted that I had an installation problem with Edius, nobody had experienced the same problem and so no help was available, my clone disc backup system got me back OK. Today there is another post on the GV forum from someone who has exactly the same problem so there does seem to be an inherent bug in Edius.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

col lamb wrote: Its a fact that if we look back through posts not just on this forum but on others that problems are often solved fairly quickly so it does seem strange that in one case after two weeks the original poster has not responed despite him posting on other topics.
Some people simply don't have the courtesy to acknowledge - which I agree is a sad reflection of lowering standards - but it can simply be an oversight, caused by so much information. This can happen on forums and email very easily, and I know in the past I've been guilty of not responding to emails for this very reason.

I receive something like 100 emails (in addition to spam) per day and read probably 50 or 60 forum posts in total - many of which I reply to, and several of which I delete (I'm a mod on another forum). Usually I will deal with unread items in sequence, but when I'm pushed for time, I'll often do a quick scan of each and deal with the most important ones. The result is that when I come back to spend a more leisurely time at the PC, all these emails/posts have been marked as read. There will almost certainly be new unread posts/emails which will take my attention and those marked as "read" will most likely be forgotten about.

The beauty of emails is that I can flag those I know I need to come back to. it would be nice if the forum also had that facility. This is not something I've seen on any forums, so I'm not suggesting Dave goes off in search for it.

Not an excuse, but not a deliberate discourtesy.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it