What key words would identify the IAC website?

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

What key words would identify the IAC website?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Every now and then Jan and I get offers from Google to use their Adwords system on a trial basis.

Adwords is the system which pulls up some suggested websites to the top of the results page after a Google search. Obviously that makes it more likely searchers would come to our page than to those later in the list of results.

The catch is we would need to specify a handful of key words which people with an interest in our activities might use in a search. The more specific these are the better.

What words could we use?

There is no point in "film", "video", "amateur", "camcorder", "movie" or "club" because they all apply to hundreds of thousands of websites.

Any ideas?

Dave
Chrisbitz

Re: What key words would identify the IAC website?

Post by Chrisbitz »

what words do people currently use to find you on Google?
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Quite obviously the words should be "Big Dave Watterson"!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thank you! Oddly enough one of the strongest referrers to the IAC website is searches for "Christine Collins". I suspect that the North Thames lady is less the target than the woman played by Angelina Jolie who was looking for the baby that had been taken from her.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Dave, I'm afraid that I have to say that both the ladies you refer to are marginally better looking than you!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael Slowe wrote:Dave, I'm afraid that I have to say that both the ladies you refer to are marginally better looking than you!
I'm not sure that would be Jan's opinion!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

We are rather drifting off the point, guys!
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Dave Watterson wrote: There is no point in "film", "video", "amateur", "camcorder", "movie" or "club" because they all apply to hundreds of thousands of websites.
I think those would be the exact words you'd want to use...

I imagine an ideal candidate would search for "amateur film club" or "<town name> film making club" so therefore those should be the words that you're keywording....

alternatively, can you paint a picture of your ideal candidate, and what they'd be searching for?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

In addition to those identified I'd add in to the tags: -

movie making
digital movies
online movies
online video
help
advice
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Chrisbitz, you seem to be suggesting AdWords for a local club. My question was about the main IAC website (www.theiac.org.uk).

Colin, you seem to be suggesting sensible meta tag keywords - applied to web pages by their authors to make it easier for some search engines to find those pages - rather than AdWords.

The IAC website currently uses the meta tag keywords:
"camcorder cine film flim video vido amateur amature movie moviemaking non-professional non-commercial miniDV digital camera audiovisual av A-V competition hobby hobbies pastime movie making amateur eight-mm 8mm Super8 9.5mm 16mm nine-five SD HD widescreen"

Generally the more specific to a website the AdWord/s can be the better.

Dave
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I think I either misunderstand you , or I disagree with you Dave :-)

I don't really understand why you think that the more specific the keywords are, the better. If that was the case, then your most specific keywords possible would be "institute of amateur cinematographers". There. Perfectly specific. But that would be a waste of time, as you'd hope that anything particularly specific would be in there already with Google.

I use Adwords to capture people through keywords where you're not so hot or well optimised.

So I refer you to my original question - "can you paint a picture of your ideal candidate, and what they'd be searching for?"

What does the IAC do, that's different to a local club, apart from "be local"?

Equally, you say "There is no point in "film", "video", "amateur", "camcorder", "movie" or "club" because they all apply to hundreds of thousands of websites." and yes they do, and those hundreds and thousands of websites probably have better Google skills than you if they appear higher in Google than your site. So... you use Adwords to give you a paid for unfair advantage over them.

So who is your ideal candidate, who you'd like to discover you on google, and what might they be searching for on google at the time you'd like to snatch them? I'd suggest "film", "video", "amateur", "camcorder", "movie" or "club" .

On the other hand, maybe I'm misunderstanding what the IAC do, but I kind had an impression that they're a "national club" and a kind of umbrella organisation that local clubs can affiliate themselves to, for help and support.

If I have misunderstood, then maybe that's a whole new bag of worms that ought to be opened! :-)

Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Bear in mind that AdWords involve a degree of auction bidding. If several websites want to use the same AdWords (such as "film" or "video") then whoever can risk paying more will get the extra visibility.

Chrisbitz's question
"can you paint a picture of your ideal candidate, and what they'd be searching for?"
is exactly what I hoped some of you might help to define. It stumps me.

Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

The IAC is "an organisation co ordinating and connecting non commercial film makers which is based and run in the UK". Surely we can agree on that definition?
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

It's a bit strange asking us what the IAC does... I think someone should email the chairman or someone on the committee, and ask them that exact question. They will have the direction and the long term strategy of the IAC clearly defined, and the adwords and website strategy should reinforce the institute's aims and plans.

It may be that we think differently, but to direct the website in a random/differing direction to the management strategy would be inappropriate..

Adwords only involves auction bidding if you want to use it in its most advanced setting. That's exactly the reason why they give you these freebie deals. I've had over £275 in free advertising vouchers this year alone, and they're perfect for playing around with no fear of screwing up and wasting money. Try it in it's simplest form, where you specify a daily budget, and see how it goes.

To ignore a free voucher because you're scared to do the wrong thing, is a terrible waste! :-) Have a play, WASTE £50, and see what happens. When it goes horribly wrong, learn from your mistake and try something different next time.

Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Every now and then Jan and I get offers from Google to use their Adwords system on a trial basis.
What words could we use?
Any ideas?
Dave

I am a foreigner, but I have been a member of the IAC for more than a decade. I will try to give "my" definition. Here it is :

"Umbrella organization for passionate non-commercial filmmakers". However, the "Free Dictionary" says about the word 'passionate' : "Dominated by powerful emotions. Marked by strong sexual desire, amorous or lustful". So, I fear that my definition is wrong. Not everybody is passionate. And why not : "Filmmaking is Passion" ? Or "Passionate in filmmaking ?" ... No, ... I fear my definitions or slogans are wrong... .

When I was a teacher my students had to read English simplified stories. There were three different levels : elementary(beginners)-intermediate-advanced. Maybe these are useful keywords. Also for filmmaking. We are an "Open family of (non-commercial) elementary, intermediate and advanced filmmakers".
Help !!!!
Willy Van der Linden