Filming In Public In Scotland

IAC General Discussions
FILM THURSO

Filming In Public In Scotland

Post by FILM THURSO »

I've been meaning to mention this for a wee bit of time since the last FVM had the Police letter detailing what can't be done to folks cameras and films. The big problem is that letter only deals with England and Wales because Scotland has different law, Could someone make the effort to find out exactly where photographers and film makers stand when in public north of the boarder- handy for anyone not from Scotland as well. I'm sure it's probly the same or similar but it's best to get it clear rather than just supposing. :D
Chrisbitz

Re: Filming In Public In Scotland

Post by Chrisbitz »

I have a marginally relevant answer, in that a couple of years ago, I was doing some commercial filming in Edinburgh, and somehow, the Scottish film council heard about us (a two man crew) and contacted us to say if we wanted to park anywhere on single yellow lines, to contact them the day before with the location, and they would give us a number to display in the windscreen, and we would be exempt from any parking laws!

I believe this was related to a scheme encouraging "foreign" filming crews to use Scotland as a location, as they asked us to complete a form detailing how many people we had and how much we spent during our stay...

They didn't warn us about any particular restrictions in filming in the street, and we did setup cameras in the middle of the city, and had no trouble whatsoever. (Except from the drunks! :-) )

But what a lovely attitude from the council! Can you imagine someone from London saying that? :-) Admittedly London is a much bigger and busier city, but still, it was a lovely surprise to have them contact us!
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Does anyone know a friendly expert in Scottish law?

A quick trawl on the web reveals no equivalent statement, but does suggest that such hassling of innocent photographers is far, far less frequent in the whole of Scotland than in London.

I have emailed the Association of Chief Police Officers of Scotland and Creatives Scotland (formerly Scottish Film Council) to ask for advice.

Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I suspect the situation is much the same as in England and Wales because photographers have been facing the same problems and, I understand, challenged under the same acts of parliament relating to terrorism etc
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I have a statement from the Scottish Association of Chief Police Officers which is similar to the English one, but am waiting to hear from other bodies and someone who has good connections with the law in Scotland ...

Dave