New Facebook Group for Amateur Filmmakers

IAC General Discussions
puddles

New Facebook Group for Amateur Filmmakers

Post by puddles »

HI all, I have just created a new Facebook Group for Amateur Filmmakers entitled... you guessed it Amateur filmmakers. So anyone with a Facebook account wanting to speak with like minded individuals just type in the group name in the main search box at the top of the page and then click on join group. It could also be a great way to bring new members to the IAC. Hope you can join us.
granfer

Re: New Facebook Group for Amateur Filmmakers

Post by granfer »

What IS Facebook?
On another Forum it has been described as a "place where bored teenagers can tell everybody else in the World who they just met in the Local Shopping Mall.... as if they wanted to know".
Is that an accurate description? I prefer the definition... "a website where cynical money-grabbers make fortunes by exploiting the need for the mindless masses to involve themselves in something they NEVER KNEW they needed"
Come to think of it... both those definitions are synonymous!

And they tell me that TWITTER is for TWITS!
Granfer
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Actually, Granfer, Facebook's audience is moving towards people over 60. It has become a place for all ages to keep up to date with each other and share interesting ideas, pictures, music and movies. I think of it as the equivalent of those greetings you write in Christmas cards - just a few lines to keep old friends and colleagues up to date with what is happening in your life.

Yes, there are fools and time-wasters on it, but choose your friends and groups carefully and there is a great deal of interest to be found.

Puddles - great thinking ... but did you know there is already an IAC Facebook page? Search for IAC and choose the one showing the IAC diamond logo.

No problem - the more promotion the better!

Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Good question Granfer but I wouldn't dare to voice it!

Actually I keep getting mails from something called Linkedin, can someone enlighten me please? A lot of the names quoted are people I know, some in the film making business, suppliers and friends who make films. If I do whatever it is I am being asked to do will that precipitate a flood of mails everyday?
granfer

Post by granfer »

So do I; my advice is the same as for Facebook/Twitter/OMG/??? (and all the others).... forget it and stick to sending real Christmas cards! Emails are quite good because they are PRIVATE; Forums also because they discuss REAL things and are usually protected from insidious advertising designed to part you from your money without you realising it..
That's generally my criterion... if it's deigned to make someone (not me) a GREAT deal of money as a result of someone else's effort (mine), I avoid it like the plague.
granfer
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Linkedin is (in theory) a business site where people can 'strengthen' their business contacts and generally network, rather than simply do the social chit-chat bit common to Facebook and the like. It is, ostensibly, more 'serious' and invites are usually from and for 'professional' people. It is supposed to enable business opportunities - the theory is that within your 'network' may be someone who, for example, suddenly wants a film made, and who are they going to turn to?

As far as I am aware that's what Linkedin is all about... but I could be wrong: although 'in it' I do steer clear of getting involved: I have enough on my plate at the moment, and no desire to earn money (strange though that may sound!) because I am happy to not have to fill in tax returns any more! BLISS!
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I was considering joining Facebook as I thought it was a brilliant concept but was put off from doing so after receiving an unsolicited invitation from someone I'd never heard of to be their "friend" and claiming that someone else (who I did know) was already signed up to their site. When I checked with the person concerned they knew nothing about it and didn't even have a Facebook account! Sadly, it seems that crooks, chancers and con artists are exploiting social networking sites for their own nefarious purposes.
Brian Saberton
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I think that that's the way Facebook works Brian - it seems to me they have an 'automatic' process that looks at the names you have as friends, and then examines those names, and if it sees any linmks to other people not on your list it will offer the opportunity to call those new found names 'your friend', with a message that x number of your own friends have included said person. I am on FB and do get requests from people (actually, from FB) I don't know but my 'friends' do know. I just say no to those if I don't know them at all. On the other hand, I have been able to make contact with people I had completely lost touch with - the tenuous links proved to be right for a change!

It can be a handy way to keep in touch with people, but I don't think FB should be taken seriously, and one does have to watch out for the links to places that first demand you allow them to crawl all over your details - lots of 'games' for example. I avoid all those like the plague.
puddles

Post by puddles »

Facebook is just another tool that filmmakers can have in their arsenal to help promote their films, meet likeminded people and connect with friends and family.
If filmmakers want to use it that's fine if they don't want to use it that's fine also but if you really want to know if its for you then just try it. It costs nothing and what better way than in the new 'amateur filmmakers' group http://www.facebook.com/groups/130913423675933/
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

With Forum sites such as this, DVDoctor, Edius, Premiere, Creative Cow and video sites such as youtube and especially Vimeo I just fail to see just why I should join facebook or twitter.

Perhaps I am missing something but I do not want to read: -
forgot battery
camcorder did not work
rained all day
actors did not turn up
etc
etc
etc
do any of you guys want to get together to make a movie I live in St Ives (sorry you who do but that is just about as far away from me on the mainland and hence of no use whatsoever)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
fraught

Post by fraught »

Granfer... you sound like someone who has never bothered to see what Facebook/Twitter is like before commenting. ;-)

I know why people moan about it, but all those that do tend to have never tried it. People believe that as soon as you get signed up, you'll be ripped off or spammed within minutes. This is completely untrue.
I think Dave has nailed it really... as long as you choose your friends and groups carefully, it's as safe as houses. There are many security and update settings you can alter, so you can see as much or as little info about your "friends and groups" as you want. You can also share as much or as little info about yourself as you want to. Don't put your phone number or address up there if you are afraid someone will use it. Also, if you get a friend request from a complete stranger... fool you if you accept!
Not everything on Facebook is public either... you can send messages privately and directly to individuals or groups of individuals. You can also use private instant chat.

If you don't have the time to use these sites, that's fair enough and probably the most sensible answer i've heard. But the thing is, Facebook is used by more than 800 million people across the globe... having a presence there is a positive thing for the IAC.

I have found Facebook to be a really handy tool to use. I've managed to cast films, arrange shoots and events, and ask other film makers for advice on particular issues. I've also used the site to share whatever production i'm working on, which in turn get's me feedback from literally hundreds of people almost instantly!

On a personal note, I also use Facebook to keep intouch with friends and family outside of the UK. We share photos, videos and messages... I now know more about them then i have ever done. Which is great!

It's all really adaptable and can really work for you, but if none of that's your bag... then stay away. ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
granfer

Post by granfer »

Fraught gave me some good advice.......
"It's all really adaptable and can really work for you, but if none of that's your bag... then stay away."

Great advice...... BUT I DID try it, and could see no point whatsoever.... so I UN-SUBSCRIBED!. At least I thought I did..... but it will not go away! It keeps attacking me and castigating me for "not being there for some time", etcetera, etcetera, and so on.
To me that is a sure sign that there is an ulterior motive somewhere!

So, Fraught, some more advice please...... how DO I make it go away?...PERMANENTLY!!!!
granfer
fraught

Post by fraught »

Granfer, i'm glad that you tried it, but as you agree... it's not for you.

when/if you choose to deactivate your account, there is an option to "Opt out of receiving future emails from Facebook." Did you tick this box?
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
granfer

Post by granfer »

Success! After reading their "Help" files I discovered that "de-activate" means "make inactive". There is also a procedure to "delete permanently", which claims that they will go away and never trouble you again. What a relief!

It's a particular relief because this morning I had brought home to me how insidious and unreliable the concept of "friends" and "privacy" can be. I was informed by a friend (of the REAL kind), who incidentally does NOT use Facebook, that my granddaughter was seeking ways of raising money for an operation, about which we knew nothing!.
It appears that my friend was asked by her daughter, who is on my granddaughter's list of Facebook "friends" if she knew what it was all about... so she asked us! So what is the point of having a circle of "private" "friends" if they do not respect your privacy?
And what kind of STUPIDiTY motivates my granddaughter to publish information of that nature (which she considered "private" enough that she had not even mentioned it to her grandparents) to the world (as it turns out) in general?

granfer
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Puddles. I have looked on the Amateur filmakers site you mention. I see there are 20 members but I could only see two videos to be viewed. I know at least three of these members and know that they have made many videos but they don't appear to be placing them on this site. Is this turning out to be just another talking shop.