Maps

IAC General Discussions
TimStannard

Maps

Post by TimStannard »

I like to see a map in a film if I'm unfamiliar with the location or if a journey is undertaken, but does anyone know the score regarding copyright?
We see maps in many competition films, has permission really been applied for and received or do the makers just assume they can use them? (He asked, suspecting that in many cases the maker hasn't given it any thought)
I believe the Ordnance Survey owns the data and the copyright for UK maps and correspondence on another forum suggests that so long as certain criteria are met (eg a credit acknowledgement) no fee is payable though permisiion still has to be obtained.

On the only occasion I've needed a map, I've sidestepped the issue by creating my own map simply because it seemed easier than contactng the various (foreign) websites and trying to get permission, but I can see a time when i'd like a decent map image.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Re: Maps

Post by Mike Shaw »

That's a very interesting question and one I've 'wrestled' with from time to time. Drawing one's own map using an existing map as the source is one solution of course, but does that really avoid the copyright I wonder? Could it be regarded as plagiarism? The alternative I found some time ago when I needed a map - or aerial view - for a movie was Google Earth - not the free version, but for a nominal (annual?) fee of about £10 (if my memory serves me correctly) one can use the Google Earth images for 'private and amateur use'. For a larger fee - still very reasonable - the images can be used professionally. It is some time since I did this and my memory may be playing tricks here, but it is worth checking out if you want to stay 'honest and above board'.

It is possible to overlay the views with road names and so on of course. As I recall, when you 'pay' the subscription, the Google Earth images downloaded are of a higher definition as well - making them more suitable for use of course. I used a screen grab program (Techsmith's SnagIt), which also allows for 'video capture' as one tracks across and zooms in on the map.

There is also a free program called Route Line that allows you to create moving lines over maps - even applying an image to draw the line, such as a model car, aircraft or ship. Same program can be used to create animated 'signatures and drawings and so on.

(Maybe I should have checked the Google Earth details before writing this ... things may have changed! Worth investigating if it sounds a possibility though).
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote:Drawing one's own map using an existing map as the source is one solution of course, but does that really avoid the copyright I wonder? Could it be regarded as plagiarism?
Interesting thought, Mike. If two people sketch a map of an island whilst flying above it, that would not be plagarism; but if one person sketches a map from another's sketch, that would be? Hmmmm...

Of course the other reason for drawing your own map is that you are not adding to the "professional material" quota, if you need to avoid that for terms of a festival/competition.

Google Earth is certainly one solution, but the issue here is that if we're not careful, all our maps will start looking the same. The first time I saw an amateur video showing the whole Earth then zooming in down through the clouds to a location, it was impressive. Now it seems every other video on YouTube uses that. It's amazing how quickly we become unimpressed.

Can you provide a bit more info about Route Line (link or manufacturer). I'm struggling to Google it. I'd like to give it a look. Mind you, that'll take the fun out of doing it manually, with overlays and masks.
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Take a look at http://www.openstreetmap.org/ which offers maps under a Creative Commons licence variant.

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Tim - it looks like they may have changed its name since I last downloaded it - try here though -
http://www.routegenerator.net/

There are videos showing it in use - or the result of using it - and it is still a free download.

You do need to input the background map though, as a graphic file.

Added The link Dave provided there gives a good link to maps that can be used freely - with just a credit: sounds a good one to me as a great time saver!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Many thanks to both of you. I'm sure I won't be alone in finding these great resources.
Tim