FVM - Licensed premises

IAC General Discussions
Peter Copestake

FVM - Licensed premises

Post by Peter Copestake »

In Chairman's Chat, Ron Prosser makes a point about the law regarding giving public film shows which might have been the original for the expression ..'the law's an ass', but I have no doubt that he's right, although I'm surprised that a U3A group is 'public' in that sense - don't the participants have to pay and sign up to it? Should the premises where we hold club meetings be licensed? Or only places which charge for entrance to our shows?

But surely the mandate for the parish council forbidding them holding meetings in licensed premises refers to places licensed to sell intoxicating liquor which is different from an entertainment license?
Peter Copestake
Dave Watterson

Re: FVM - Licensed premises

Post by Dave Watterson »

You have got your copy of FVM before us, so I am not sure exactly what Ron Prosser talked about, but the last revision of the licensing acts combined alcohol, public entertainment, cinemas, theatres, late night refreshment houses, and night cafés into a single group. That was the 2003 Act for England and Wales and a similar Act in Scotland was approved in 2005.

Wikipedia gives an introduction at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensing_Act_2003

Dave
Peter Copestake

Re: FVM - Licensed premises

Post by Peter Copestake »

Well, I'm blowed! Firstly by the extent of Dave's knowledge, again, and by the law itself, though on one reading (of the Wikipaedia article) I remain sure that the holding of council meetings element means where alcohol is served (I wonder whether that requirement has been updated since the new licensing act came in) and also get the impression that the basis of the law is to ensure that places selling alcohol have conditions on what else they can do to avoid nuisance to neighbours etc.

However, someone who has come up against the local authority on this matter may answer confirming the need for a license. Perhaps it would be safer not to raise the matter!

Thanks again, Dave.

Peter.
Peter Copestake