Where's the content????

IAC General Discussions
Chrisbitz

Where's the content????

Post by Chrisbitz »

I just watched a film by one of Fraught's friends, and strangely, I felt surprised that it had plot and content!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9maRmwUTwI

Now of course, that seems a weird statement, but so often nowadays, I watch indie films on the web, and after minutes of fancy/beautiful colourised photography, I'm left thinking.... Well, what happened? What was the point of that?

For example, I just watched a FINALIST in a pepsi competition, and the content was a pepsi can vibrating across the top of a washing machine, fell off the side, and landed in a girl's hands, and she opened and drank it.
It looked very pretty, but I felt content-cheated! You could see they'd spent so much time getting the colours all matched and tinted to presumably fake a cinema feel or something (which to me always looks like video faked to look like yellowy/poor cinema) but if only they'd spent as much time on the script, making it clever or memorable.

Fortunatley, in general IAC sort of films seem to avoid that "arty" format, and usually are well planned and scripted.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
ned c

Re: Where's the content????

Post by ned c »

It's an age thing. If you grew up when we went to "the pictures" we were steeped in well written and presented stories, usually beautifullt photographed and acted. If you grew up in the MTV age you cannot stand a stationary, tripod mounted camera and a story with a beginning a middle and an end, if present they must be delivered in some other order. Let me say immediately that there are many MTV style movies I enjoy; they are often fun and very clever. Recognise that most feature films these days are aimed at a male audience between and 14 and 25 so if you fall outside these limits do not expect too much,

ned c
tom hardwick

Re: Where's the content????

Post by tom hardwick »

I must have a brain in a very old body Ned as Black Swan, The King's Speech and 127 hrs all appeal to me. But know just what you mean.