YOUTUBE REVISITED

IAC General Discussions
Pqtrick

YOUTUBE REVISITED

Post by Pqtrick »

Is it me? One time of day, in the not too distant past. YouTube was frowned upon as being a place for kids, or indeed anyone uploading loads of rubbish videos when and as things happened. It seemed generally frowned upon as a flash in the pan, won't last site and of no serious interest.

By conincidence, I have revisited my own YouTube page, only because of the high number of clicks something was getting. OK that's good but my content was not really that special.

But now, it has been taken over by the 'big boys', commercial broadcasters, banner adverts, and slick media produced content. OK big money talks, perhaps some of us have missed a trick somewhere along the way.

If in its infancy, the very word 'YouTube' broadcast yourself as an initially raw and with a sometimes crude message has been lost. The idea of someone 'crying in the wilderness' and getting heard is now remote because of the millions of clips being posted daily.

I had clicked a banner advert telling what you could film with the latest N*IA phone. Can your really? Stable, continuious, roving steady cam shots with a cast of hundreds?

This I suspect is called progress or just cashing in.
Dave Watterson

Re: YOUTUBE REVISITED

Post by Dave Watterson »

We have had free video hosting from YouTube and excellent availability for several years ... I don't mind them earning a bit back through advertising. There are still hundreds of thousands of new videos being uploaded each day and over 2 million viewings per day.

Dave
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Perhaps the UK front page is different. The content I get here is just slick commercial stuff with everything bannered with an advert.

Sometime ago, if there had been an event or protest say in the centre of Lyon, it would be appear on the front page as 'latest uploads'. If the trains were late or granny has lost her slippers. At least folks would their half an hour of headline glory.

Now, there is nothing like that. Most items you see hignlighted, have already been seen by ten thousand people or more and usually link back to a commercially sponsored page.

I am not against a bit of commercial spin that is if tu'-pence halfpenny a thousand click falls into my basket.

You can search I assume, and find almost anything under the sun. But I feel it has lost its spontaneous raw edge which it had.

Perhaps someone needs to invent something else.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

In the first week of December 2010 YouTube quietly allowed some users to upload movies longer than 15 minutes.

Check your account by clicking the upload button and look for a message.

There is no definitive statement as yet on how long and who gets it. Word on the street is that you get up to 20Gb space and it goes to people who have not broken the Youtube rules.

- Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Hmmm. I can't think why but I must be a bad boy - my limit is still 15 minutes - 2 gigs.

Not that I make any films (yet) more than a few minutes long....
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

My You tube message! Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video. Strange I have never considered myself to be a that well behaved person!

I did have a 'block' from them with regard to one peice of mood music which I thought was so dated I could get away with. But I replied to Youtube as at that time, my IAC UK licence was current and as I understood it, it became permissable for us to use music. And in this case the video was 'private' not public. I did not hear from them but the 'block' was released.

Now this easily flows into another question I was about to field.
Another webstreaming service which is promoting 'live' broadcast streaming similar to USTREAM, states they have a zero tollerance regarding piracy, if you apply to to go further than 50 simultanious viewers. I presume that even at one viewer unlicensed music is an infringement and it is a way for them of regulating.

It is essentially a tool for live broadcast, yet you can record your own programmes either from your 'live' stream or download directly from YouTube and offer the material either as looped 'live' broadcast or video on demand.

Now getting to my question? Are the terms of the licence limited to only 'YouTube' or permissable on other servers as well? If the idea of web broadcasting is to be a serious proposition the introduction of video clips or short films will have to be seriously considered. But will it? Other than getting the necessary permission, reserve a track in your edit for music, in the knowledge it may be broadcast and when that edition is made either make it blank or substitute other music or rely on the other sound tracks - Any comments SVP?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The agreement between YouTube and the British music organisations applies only to YouTube in the UK and only to music which those organisations control. (Granted this is most music you can buy in the UK.) YouTube have been trying to reach agreements with music organisations in other countries but I have not yet heard of any others. There are additional problems in the USA where there are many competing organisations holding various music rights.

In theory YouTube.co.uk might block users from other countries watching videos whose content is acceptable in Britain.

With any other video host or streaming service you have to be sure you have cleared all rights. If you want to be sure of world wide access through YouTube you must be sure you have cleared all rights. If your film goes on broadcast television the broadcasting organisation will advise - either they will use their agreements with the music industry or they will change the music. There is wisdom in Paddy's suggestion of keeping a separate music track if possible.

Many of the royalty-free music companies do include "internet use" in their fees, but not all. You have to check the terms of each licence.

IAC Members can buy a set of licences which grant them some limited rights to use commercial music. Read the details on our copyright pages (http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/copyright.htm).

-Dave
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

The link back to the IAC site to the music copyright page makes interesting reading!

Especially if you note the mention of the popular song 'Happy Birthday' (does the mere mention of the phrase cost five bob?). What does make rather interesting and suprising reading if you have the time to delve is the WIKI page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I made a club film about YouTube a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/URQkziqLDjo

And still people call it UTube... It drives me mad everytime I see that! <akes me think of Txting teenagers that can't spell.
Anyway, I thought it might be relevant :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Chris - I loved the film all the way from the cats to your split-screen chat. It is so good to hear a British angle on YouTube content after so many American ones. I know one club member who was preparing a series of videoblogs but don't think they are ready yet.

I have given the film a plug on the IAC FaceBook page too.

There is a culture to be discovered - not necessarily to everyone's taste, but then few artforms so please everyone. IAC people generally seem to regard it either as a dustbin of phone-filmed drunken party antics or all pop music. It is those, but far, far more. Its sheer scale is difficult to comprehend. Its variety is often a joy to explore.

Cheers

Dave
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I totally agree Dave. YouTube has 24 HOURS of video uploaded to it EVERY MINUTE, and some of it IS rubbish, but if only people could look beyond the tip of their noses, there's so much more, good quality, home made films, just like we make... but you can have 20,000 people view your art instead of only 30-40 at your club night.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Great video Chris! Have just subscribed to your channel.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Love your video Chris - it gets across the sheer fun to be had on You Tube.
Brian Saberton