Competition Results

IAC General Discussions
Arthur Bates

Competition Results

Post by Arthur Bates »

I've just got a large envelope back from the Guernsey Lily Festival. It contained my two films, certificates and critical reports on them from the judges. On reading them it sounded more as though I had won a top award rather than a much less prestigious rating. The main thing was that they were encouraging unlike some of the ones that I have received from equally well known competitions. Thank you Judges. After reading one report some time ago I almost abandoned film making because it was so discourageing and there have been others almost as bad in spite of the movie getting a relativly good result for me. There's a lesson here and it's important. I make films for my amusement and for those around me, not for competitions but they are of vital importance so that we can test our skills against other film makers and so maintain a standard or hopefully improve. So thank all the judges who make this possible but please remember to point out our errors, tell us how to improve them and above all encourage. Arthur Bates.
Brian Saberton

Re: Competition Results

Post by Brian Saberton »

XDL Films had an entry in the Guernsey Lily and we got excellent well-written critiques that were constructive and consistent. I was unable to attend the festival this year but I gather that there were around 130 entries and these were all viewed by three first round judges each of whom wrote up comments on all the films (a major task in itself). The best films were judged again by a final panel.
Brian Saberton
JanW
Site Admin

Re: Competition Results

Post by JanW »

I have removed some of the recent posts under this topic. Conversations about judging and judges' comments are usually lively - I've no problem with that - but I cannot allow personal attacks.
Jan
(Webmaster)