Authoring and burning long dvds

IAC General Discussions
Godfrey

Authoring and burning long dvds

Post by Godfrey »

Is anyone able to give some on-site training in south east England, or simply on line advice, using DVD Architect with PGCEDIT ( for layer breaks) and then imgburn?

Some of my dvds are just under 3 hours long and even using dual layer discs the quality has dropped off with DVD Workshop 2. I am switching to dvd Architect for the 16:9 menus andhave been advised that layer breaks may be the answer, in part , for improving the quality of the dvds.

Godfrey
tom hardwick

Re: Authoring and burning long dvds

Post by tom hardwick »

Not that I can help you with the training, but I have moving 16:9 films in Ulead's DVD WS2 menus. Are you using Ulead's MPEG2 encoder?
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Hi Tom

All the .avi files are being encloded in Procoder Express to produce m2v files with .wav audio files

Am shifting to DVD Architect not only for 16:9 menus but also eventually for the bluray which dvdw2 cannot do.

Still not sure if you are getting 16:9 menus in DVDw2 or just the background videos. If so how are you achieving that?

For the record the encoded 10.3 gig files created by Procoder can somehow be put on a single DL verbatim disc in DVDW2 - it says the size needed is on 4gig/8.5 on the media ( amazing but true!) but DVD Architect won't accept that same file for burning - thus the question about layer breaks and imgburn

Godfrey
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm pleased to read that you're using Procoder for the MPEG2 compression rather than the Ulead version. I presume my Storm2 card uses the same encoder as they both come from Canopus, but I'm not sure of that. What I am sure about is the quality of the encodes.

Some people do the initial encode this way and then import the files into DVDShrink for the final compression and to make almost any length of movie fit onto a DVD-R. Not tried it myself, but have been very impressed with DVDShrink's retained picture quality.

OK, it's a pretty simple workaround to get moving film footage into Ulead WS2's menu and have it shown correctly. The thing to remember is that WS2 is going to vertically stretch (by 25%) anything you have on the menu page so you can fool it by giving it a film that has been vertically compressed by 25%. I do this easily on the timeline by using picture in picture in Premiere 6.5.

And there you have it - proper 16:9 menu movies when the DVD's shown on a widescreen or 4:3 TV. Of course the menu page is still 4:3, so to really be finicky you'd want to do the same compression to all the fonts used.

tom.