SUPPORT YOU LOCAL SHER... CLUB/FESTIVAL

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

SUPPORT YOU LOCAL SHER... CLUB/FESTIVAL

Post by Dave Watterson »

A heart-rending, angry message appears in the IAC North West Region's newsletter this month from Chris Abram who did so much super work to promote the brand new Morecambe Bay International Film Festival earlier this year. Though visitors came to the event in Lancaster from Dundee, Potters Bar, Wakefield and Horsham ... almost none of the local clubs supported the event in person.

It is a common complaint.

When you put on a regional or national event ... all too often the nearest clubs and enthusiasts do not attend.

Why?

-Dave
Willy

Re: SUPPORT YOU LOCAL SHER... CLUB/FESTIVAL

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote: It is a common complaint.
When you put on a regional or national event ... all too often the nearest clubs and enthusiasts do not attend.
Why?
-Dave
Maybe because there is some rivalry between the nearest clubs which would be stupid.

Next Friday we are organising the very last film show of "Focus Vaartland". My club will disappear at the end of June. The nearest clubs have promised to attend our show. They have already confirmed this. I will give a speech about the history of our club. We had famous non-professional filmmakers like Florent Vanopstal, Tony Jacobs, Douglas Boswell, Samuel Faict and other ones. We won the regional cup twice in the last twenty years and even the national one. Our films were among the best at national and international festivals.

Perhaps the nearest clubs hope that some of my (former) clubmates will join them. Almost every club is in decline. The need new filmmakers. Now it's struggle for life and survival of the fittest.
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Why?
I have heard umpteen different excuses, but no real reasons.

It always seems to be those who live the nearest who find they just can't make it.

Baffles me.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Willy

As the nearest club to Morecambe there is no rivalry between ourselves just a respect of the capabilities of of each club/member.

I cannot, nor will not make excuses for another club member but I for one had a prior commitment and could not attend.

I know that some of Morecambe's own members did not attend.

The timing of the event was not the best in the world with Burnley's Film Festival on the 20th March, the IAC NW Region's Mersey 10 in Preston on the 27th March and the Eric's in Morecambe on the 10th April, too many competition's in to small a geographical area in too short a period of time.

One of Chris's movies did very well in our Regional Mersey 10 competition, and it was very good for it could be argued that it was very Professional in both content and resources. I do not believe his response the following week at a non-IAC club competition - to return the regional trophy that he won - to be the correct way of expressing his disgust.

Surely it would be better to look at the advertising and promotion and work within the IAC and with other clubs. Learn by ones mistakes and move on, work harder next time.

Good luck to Chris and the future of the Eric's, may they continue

Col Lamb
Preston Movie Makers
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Chris Abram

Post by Chris Abram »

Dear IAC members,
It was nice to receive some comments regarding my letter to Tripod, the magazine for our clubs in the North West regarding "The Erics".
Yes, I was really annoyed that having spent over seven months pulling together this very successful international video competition that support did not come from our local clubs. We should work together within the IAC with all local clubs supporting each other. I know that we in Morecambe Bay Movie Makers have always had people attending most of the local open club events and there is certainly no animosity towards any of them. In fact, we have really good relations with them, particularly Preston, Southport and Burnley.

One comment on the web site suggests that I should have concentrated more on publicity. Perhaps they don't know just how much effort went into using modern technology to inform EVERY club listed on the IAC website about what we were doing. In fact, we had a complaint from South Africa that we were sending TOO much information. We used the internet in a very dynamic way and created a website which has received many, many positive comments. Also a couple of negative ones, particularly about rule interpretation. All queries were answered within twenty four hours, usually much less, and it proved to be the way forward for the future.Several clubs contacted me asking for more informayion so perhaps we will see the standards raised for club websites.

Talking of raising standards, we also tried to get away from the "let's stick a screen up at the end of the room" approach. We chose to go to a modern, up to date theatre with the latest cinema digital projector and sound system, plush seats, a bar with reasonable prices,a top BBC Radio Lancashire Presenter and a top class M&S buffet. All the shortlisted entries were commited to digital tape with all the winners put on a computer. That way we guaranteed that there would be no projector or sound hiccups frequently experienced in other competitions. We were quite determined that we wanted, although it was our first large scale event, to make it one of the best. We had more club members that we needed helping on the day which ensured that the event ran perfectly with no hitches. Hence the major sponsorship and unique, limited edition, gold plated statuettes of the famous Eric Morecambe sculpture on the promenade that every visitor to Morecambe wants to have their picture taken next door to.

I have appreciated all the comments I have received. Thank you.
Chris Abram
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Now, Chris, the $64,000 question: will there be a Morecambe Bay International Festival next year?

- Dave
Chris Abram

Post by Chris Abram »

Afternoon Dave,
After reading some very nice things about The Erics it has made me feel a little easier about the non appearance of our local clubs.
However, after I cleared everything up for this year I gave my club, Morecambe Bay Movie Makers, the opportunity to run this successful event on their own as I want to get back to making MY films again, and they have decided that "The Erics" is now to be regarded as a "once only" event! No comments.
I shall now sit quietly at the back of the room on club nights and say nothing.
Kind regards to one and all.
Chris Abram
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I know there will be a lot of sadness at that, Chris. Although the Erics had not had a chance to establish themselves in their own right yet (though those distinctive trophies were a great way of gaining attention and affection) ... the festival was seen as following in the footsteps of the Cotswold. The IAC competition and the Guernsey Lily are both great festivals, but there is room for a third one.

I wonder how a Britain-only festival would fare ...

Dave