Video and Photography no longer forbidden at National Trust

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

Video and Photography no longer forbidden at National Trust

Post by Dave Watterson »

The National Trust - an organisation which preserves many historically important and beautiful properties has long banned photography inside its properties. But as of the end of January 2010 that policy has changed. They recognise that old arguments about security are no longer sensible.

Essentially you can now use a movie or still camera at the discretion of the property manager. Flash is still forbidden because it annoys other visitors. Tripods may be permitted when there are few other visitors. I doubt if movie lights will be permitted both because they may annoy other visitors and because some old fabrics might suffer from too much bright light.

This news may not have percolated to all NT sites, so tread carefully but ask if you want to shoot and point any doubting managers to the "Visitor FAQs" on the National Trust website: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk
"Amateur photography (including filming) without flash is now permitted in historic interiors at the Property Manager’s discretion. As with outdoor photography, any photographs taken are strictly for private use, and enquiries about selling or publishing photographs should be directed to photo.library@nationaltrust.org.uk. However, visitors must be aware that at some places, there may be copyright issues, and further permissions may be required in respect of collections not owned by us. In these situations the Property Manager decision as to if photography is allowed is final. "
Well done the NT for being willing to listen to the arguments.
-Dave
Stephen

Re: Video and Photography no longer forbidden at National Trust

Post by Stephen »

At last !!!!!!!

may seriously consider renewing the membership now!!

lost count on how many times I left a NT property because of that crazy ruling

even got asked to leave when I (quietly) used my mobile phone in fact it was that quiet you couldnt hear anything ----
I was texting !!!... told it interfered with the equipment laddie..

errrr... wee aye man....

anyway ..... well done the NT

and thanks for posting Dave.
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I to have stopped membership of the NT because of the ban. Even now it seems that decisions could be left to a possible LOCAL little Hitler. So I won't be rejoining yet. Roy
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

At last! The application of some common sense so three cheers for the NT. I hope this new policy will also extend to the National trust for Scotland properties.
Brian Saberton
Willy

Post by Willy »

Margaret Thatcher
Indeed, that's good news. I remember I once had problems in Scotney Castle (Kent County) which is only a ruined castle, but the gardens are extremely beautiful when the rhododendrons are in bloom. I remember that Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher lived near Scotney Castle. It was my dream to take a shot of the rhododendrons in the foreground and the castle in the background. I am sure it was not because of Margaret Thatcher's near presence that I was not allowed to film on a tripod. I think it was because you could buy picture postcards, books with photographs and even NT-films in the National Trust Shop.

Vita Sackville-West
I also had problems in Sissinghurst, which is one of the most charming places in (the Garden of) England. The English (NT-)gardens are unique.
I remember I once hoped to take close ups of the roses and other flowers with my macro lenses 1, 2 and 4 in Sissinghurst. You can only do this with a tripod. I tried to outwit the 'ticket inspector' at the entrance, but I failed. I was caught ! I could only take a shot of the garden from the tower.

Sentimental Journey
I had to put my camera on the wall of the tower and feared that I would drop my camera. A bad feeling. My hands were shaking. But now, 15 years later, they would shake of old age, I think. My film was called "Sentimental Journey". Under it in smaller letters something like "Around the Weald".

It was one of my first videofilms. Now I would not choose such a title. It was a sentimental journey, but I feel it's not a good title for a film. 'It's too syrupy', we say in Dutch. The narration was still in Dutch and Richard Rouillard told me there was no sound on the copy of my films. It was one of my first entries for Guernsey. If I had the permission of the National Trust to take close-ups at that time I would have won a lily. Now it's too late.

Mind : I don't always mean what I am writing.

Long live the National Trust !
Willy Van der Linden
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

A friend of mine has just returned froma photographic break Rome and the only restriction he came across was in the Sistine Chapel, otherwise he could take pictures anywhere he liked. I've also found things generally easier on the continent than in Britain - perhaps they don't have so many "jobsworths" and paranoids over there or such a hysterical news media. Mind you, one perplexing restriction I came across was in Bilbao at the Guggenheim Museum where they are very strict and won't even let you take pictures in the atrium, which is arguably an architectural masterpiece. Guidebooks and postcards are, naturally, available for purchase in the shop.
Brian Saberton
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Brian, I had no problem with general shots both inside and out of the famous Gehry building in Bilbao. I then wrote to them because I wanted to return there later to make a proper film, one of my 'art' series, on a fantastic installation by Serra that was in one of the big spaces. After due consideration they replied 'no'. I think that there may have been a copyright issue with the artist.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

That's interesting Michael. At the time I was there I was on an organised coach tour and it was the tour guide who said that photography wasn't allowed inside the Guggenheim, other than on a small balcony on the outside of the building. It wouldn't be the first time I've lost out on pictures because a tour guide gave out the wrong information so in future I'll maybe just take a chance.
Brian Saberton