May you all have a a great Christmas and New year

IAC General Discussions
Tony Grant

May you all have a a great Christmas and New year

Post by Tony Grant »

Hi everybody,

Let's be silly and traditional, every year we make New Years resolutions so how about making some about our camera and film making work. I will start the ball rolling and make two resolutions.

1. I will never again use my house as a film set. Last year my wife has just reminded me, we did not put up any Christmas decorations in the sitting room as we were in the middle of filming ‘De Koffer’
2. I promise to think ‘Lighting’ first not last when designing a film set.

Happy filming in 2010 lets see some films on the evil Bankers and blood lusting ‘Climate Change’ warriors.

Tony
Dave Watterson

Re: May you all have a a great Christmas and New year

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Tony,
I guess we are all coping with snow (Brits never seem to get used to it) and last-minute shopping for stocking-fillers.

Love your resolutions.the second one should be carved 50 feet high in every public park ... good lighting is the single most defining element of "classy" films. That means artistic and practical thinking to make it possible. Watch the "making of" features on commercial DVDs and spot the lighting/reflecting kit. Hardly any shot is taken without one or both ... even in broad daylight. Recently saw a desert camp scene whose principle lighting came from a two-metre diameter "weather balloon" with bright light source inside. The effect was a diffuse light not unlike moonlight.

My resolutions

1) learn to say no to some invitations to judge/visit festivals
2) listen even harder for music that supports and enhances scenes without dominating or even being very obvious
3) not to turn red and explode whenever a film appears on screen in the wrong aspect ratio

Cheers

Dave
P.S. Do Belgians eat Christmas Cake in waffle form?
fraught

Post by fraught »

I'm in "Sunny" Basingstoke... and it's been really hit by the snow! I'm loving it, but all my work colleagues aren't! If only i had the time to shoot a short film in it!!!

Happy Christmas everyone.

Hope you all have a good year.
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

We 'dunk' the Christmas cake in beer, we have do this behind closed doors because the PC brigade say that we have to call it fruit cake and I like a cigar at about that stage in the proceedings our guest(s) have had health warnings sent to them on sledge because of the global WARMING! Oh "S/1t" the animal people have released the Turkey and let the reindeer out.