FVM latest Issue - amateur

IAC General Discussions
Willy

Re: FVM latest Issue - amateur

Post by Willy »

Brian Saberton wrote: 1. ... but for me film-making is a creative activity that can be done by anyone at any age and I don't think that any particular age group has a monopoly on imagination.
2. ... surely we should all be competing on equal terms...
3. ... A final thought is that I hope that if any youngsters do join our clubs they will be willing to volunteer to take on the necessary jobs such as secretary, chair or treasurer - or is that a forlorn hope?

1 & 2 : I don't think that anyone in this discussion would like age groups in festivals. In the Czech Republic there is a competition for filmmakers who are 58 or older. I took part in it, but honestly I don't think it is good. However, there should be a seperate group for filmschools as we should all be competing on equal terms. In one of my previous mails I said something like : films by young people could be judged by young people. That's wrong. I agree with you, Brian. A mixed panel is better. Just like in Guernsey. I was one of the final judges. I belonged to the older ones. In the curriculum vitae of the programme you could read that one of the judges is only 24. I had a nice chat with him. He works for BBC Guernsey. In BIAFF however, most of them are in their sixties (like me), seventies, eighties ... I didn't see any young faces in the BIAFF-programme.

I myself enjoyed the films made by filmstudents in Guernsey. I read the websites of these young people while writing my comments and these confirmed that they are/were filmstudents. I could feel that "Dentophobia" was made by a filmstudent. I could feel that (but I confess I already knew) "Sjeng" was made by someone who is not in his twenties anymore. I only wonder if we will see these young people again at festivals in the future. I hope so. Mind : you must know that I am pessimist. That's my nature. I am a worrywart. I am a defeatist. Now I'm exaggerating, but anyhow we must think about the thing Ned said about the evolution in the States and maybe here in Europe.

3. My experience is that youngsters are not willing to volunteer to take on the necessary jobs such as secretary, chairman or treasurer. I have been chairman of my club for 21 years now. Some years ago a young man joined our club. He was a technical teacher. I wanted him to be my successor. "You may ask anything you want, Willy, but please do not ask me to do any administrative or other work. I don't want to take any responsability. I just want to enjoy myself." He seemed to be very excited and enthusiastic. After two years he took his guitar again. He disappeared without any reason. I felt very sad, also because he had asked me to buy this and that. I told him that he had to realize that you need money to buy things... and where does the money come from ? But I did.

Are younger people (in general !!!!) very consistent, perseverant ... ? I used to be an educational adviser at an international school. I think that my relationship with all those young people was fantastic. My colleagues were always nervous. I enjoyed being together with the biggest rascals. Sometimes they were my best friends. However, I also felt that mentality changed considerably in the last twenty years. What an old grumbler I have become now ! Today is Friday, 13th !
Willy Van der Linden
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

I have noticed that the IAC is dropping the word amateur in many of its publications and notifications and applaud its decision to do so. I am part of a small group who run a bianual film competion in Belgium this year will be our third festival and I have used some of the wording used by the IAC in our new rules especially the words saying that a film must be made for non commercial reasons and no paid help apart from actors may be used in the making. This is a very excellent move as it alows for the paricipation in club and competition of the many proffesionals who are unable to work in the industry through age or lack of jobs, not to mention the young film school filmers to paricipate in worthwhile projects and push up the standards of us AMATEURS.

Tony
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

What I forgot to say was what alot of excellent comment was made on this topic.

Tony
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

no paid help apart from actors

In an amateur film!! Sorry, NON PROFESSIONAL!!

Peter
Peter Copestake
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Do I miss read your rules an actor is not a viseo professional and expenses can cover many things look at your MP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are film makers not actors. We buy the best equipment lets point it at the best "
subjects"
This competition is restricted to films made for entirely non-commercial purposes, by individuals and groups working solely for pleasure. Anysponsorship must be used only to cover production costs and the expenses of the production team and actors, and not for paid assistancefrom video professionals, either for filming or post-production (apart from the making of copies). If it is discovered, either before or aftermaking any award, that the film has been offered for sale, used for any other commercial purpose or has
ned c

Post by ned c »

Here is how we write the base rules for AMPS; the main point is that no-one may be paid for their contribution and we exclude commercial sponorship. This makes it possible for professional film makers to enter. I have seen an increasing reporting of clubs making and selling their productions; in our opinion this contravenes the spirit of non-commercial movie making much more than a professional making a movie for fun. We would not take away an award if a movie is subsequently picked up for paid distribution but we would not permit the maker to use the award in advertising. It is about the "spirit" of the Festival; there is always someone who will lack the ethics to beat the system but they will not b welcome back.

We do emphasise the difference between the General and Student entries, they are judged by different judges. We also judge by genre as well as generally, have a look at www.ampsvideo.com for more details and reports on this year's winners.

General entrants Productions made solely for fun and pleasure, for artistic expression or to make a statement about society with no profit motive in mind, have not been subject of any sales or rental agreement prior to entry in the Festival nor expect to be after the Festival and have not been made as a part of a college course. No person working on any aspect of the production may be paid for their services nor may the production be sponsored by any commercial organization. Entries may be made by individuals or more than one person, such as a club or group, provided the financial conditions set out are met. This Festival is for non-commercial productions only and we ask that the makers respect this requirement

Student entrants Productions made by a student or group of students in full or part time education. The production must not have been subject of any sales or rental agreement prior to entry in the Festival nor expect to be after the Festival. No person working on any part of the production may be paid for their services. This Festival is for non-commercial productions only and we ask that the makers respect this requirement.

ned c