I would like to hear from other members

IAC General Discussions
Tony Grant

I would like to hear from other members

Post by Tony Grant »

To introduce myself I am Tony Grant, I took early retirement in 2000 and decided to realise my dreams to make films. For the next two years I spent all my time learning how and investing in equipment and knowledge. In 2003 I was contacted by a resident of the community who wanted to make a film about the old songs and legends of Gooik my home town in Belgium. This started the ball rolling and I was confronted with my first project. In 2003 I established "PERILOUS LANDINGS" with other like minded people to make films and clips for budget restrained community groups and organisations. In Belgium I am a member of the Skoop Videogroep Leuven vzw (CvB 2009 Membership No 60076). You can see some of my film clips by linking to Crackle from my website.
My most recent film ‘De weg van de Jacobieten’ came third place in the Bracina-filmwedstrijd 2009. Florent Van Opstal my favourite Nature film maker in Belgium taking the first two positions.
I hope by linking to this forum I can come in contact with fellow IAC members and create closer ties or even working relationships.
So that is enough of the I’s, the rest you can find on my website.

Main equipment Sony Z1,Edius 5.11 and Adobe Encore.
Dave Watterson

Re: I would like to hear from other members

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Tony,
We met in 2005 when UNICA came to Blankenberge, and I was on the jury. I think we ate together - either wonderful Belgian waffles or one of the gala banquets. Isn't your wife in the security business? It is good to hear from you.

As a new member of this forum you were not allowed to publish your website address - but I can:
http://www.perilous-landings.com

Your organisation is part of a great worldwide problem for the amateur/non-commercial film movement ...
The distinction between pure amateurs and independent film makers who would like to be commercial is not so clear as it used to be. Many good amateurs make wedding videos for money. Many clubs make videos for charities and local groups - in return for a donation to the club funds.

For my part I have never been too concerned about where the boundary lies. It probably is around the point where the publicity budget for a movie gets to the $1m mark!

Dave Watterson
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Hi Dave,

Nice that you remember me and great to hear from you. I do not understand all the politics of the IAC yet, can not be better or worse than BRACINA or CVB I suppose. Just feel it is time to make contact with other IAC members and see what happens I am one of the strange unlinked expats who notice and apreciate what they all do for us sometimes crazy would be filmers.

We make films and do not want or look for profits we work for those that in most cases who could not afford to make a DVD. The young talent that sometimes help me, do so because when they were film students my camera and equipment was usefull to them. I love to work with these young guys a few of whom will make names for themselves in the proper industry. I just wish we had young people in the film clubs who would put aside a weekend and work untill the job is finished and create some beautifull images.

Last weekend I spent the two days with some media students who had to produce a 3 minute clip. We used profesional actors and shot the scenes in a green key studio. Mothers brought food you would die for and the young girl on makeup found time to cut my hair. The young Director was a joy to watch and work for and yes I got paid, a bottle of Champers non vintage of course. When would I have got the chance to use that studio and experiment with green key. So I am happy to be a world wide problem and enjoy the pleasure of filming. The important thing is not to infringe copyright especially in music in most cases we compose our own, not in my last film alas good Scottish sound I could not create it's the amber liquid.

Tony
ned c

Post by ned c »

Welcome Tony, I am another expat living in the American Wild West! I still have a PAL miniDV camera so if anyone wants shots of the Red Rock country, canyons etc let me know.

ned c