NO FVM ... ???

IAC General Discussions
Mike Shaw

NO FVM ... ???

Post by Mike Shaw »

People I know have received their copies of FVM this month - one at least over a week ago.

But I'm still waiting - am I alone, or has my copy gone into some other address much to a (possibly) bewildered recipient?

I feel deprived (and depraved), isolated, sidetracked ... and so on.

Help!!

Mike
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Mike

No, we at Watterson Towers are still lacking the mailing as well.

So far as I know it is still largely done by hand ... Garth's hand. That is he packs up magazines, sorts labels into overseas, home etc, sorts into regions so that he can put regional newsletters into the appropriate packets and sorts out special cases like IAC National Council who get all the newsletters. Then he must weight each different combination, wrap, seal and post them.

I try to remind myself of that as I grind my teeth wondering where our copy has got to.

Mind you I expect the magazine around the 7th of every second month so I was not worried till I saw your message ...

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Ah! So I have not been singled out for isolation - there are at least two of us! Thanks for the feedback.

I hadn't realised that Garth had to handle (literally) all the distribution as well as the editing - it is almost shameful that one person is left to handle everything.

Thing is one told me that they were sent out alphabetically, and another that they were sent out on a regional basis. But on both these methods, I missed out (most people round here have it, and some of them have names later in the alphabet). I suspect that there is now a different method. I shall wait until you have received yours, and then panic real good!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I spoke to FVM editor, Garth Hope, today and he tells me that all the magazines are now in the post. The official publication day is the 7th of the month but he tries to get copies out up to ten days earlier when possible. This time he was frantically busy and so they went out in batches over the first week of November.

He reminded me
(A) that articles on any topic of interest to video and AV makers are always very welcome.
(B) the Christmas issue will be about a week later than usual because the printers shut down over the holiday period.

Cheers

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Well, fingers crossed. This particular issue (of the Seriac news actually) was of particularly interest because it apparently has a letter (S?) that is the subject of a regional committee meeting tomorrow. I have now been sent a copy of that letter, but I would have preferred to see it in contect.

In fact, of course, if the 7th is the 'publication date, then there is no problem really - just that others (on the committee) have been discussing the content, and I felt a bit left out!

Thanks fopr the update Dave.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Wednesday 12th November my copy of FVM arrived.

Let me say at once that the re-design is great. Nice font choices.

It also has the best of Ken Wilson's columns yet ... tears and laughter in every paragraph and a story with which every film maker can feel empathy.

Mike's piece on Mercalli - or at least half of it - is there. Half of Tom's piece is there. Several of the "Making of" series which are on the main IAC website are reprinted in whole or in part. I see there is quite a lot from Brian too ... I'll try to read it all later tonight ...

Apart from the usual odd typos and the annoying "to be continueds" - a very good issue.

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Notrhing here yet. :(
Willy

Post by Willy »

Mike Shaw wrote:Nothing here yet. :(
Postman Pat
As you know I live in Belgium. Today I have received FVM. Something must have happened to Postman Pat, Mike !

Garth's hand is magic !
You're right, Dave. Garth's hand is magic. Indeed, FVM looks great. The lay-out is better and the articles are interesting. There is also an article in it about one of my favourite films : "Mosel Gold". Fantastic photography !

In the National Interest
Also Phil Martin deserves to be praised in FVM for his "In the National Interest". The theme of that film is extraordinary. It's even daring. Amazing ! Phil received responses from about 40 actors willing to work on an expenses-only basis ! I remember that he has won the award in the Guernsey Lily for excellent acting. Now I understand why. His Brits in the film are so cool ! They're real Brits ! They are not over-emotional acting Italians who are gesticulating all the time. Phil has created the right atmosphere in his film. He has also given me a good idea for my next fiction film. Asking actors on internet or maybe even in our regional "gazette".

I also enjoy stories like "In the National Interest" based on huge research work.

Different people from different countries
I also read the article about the last Cotswold Festival. The last sentence or the article is something that Heydar Aslanov from Azerbaijan said about lee Prescott : "You made different people from different countries closer to each other". I like that sentence. In Britain I feel at home thanks to my BIAFF-Cotswold and Guernsey-friends.
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I contacted Garth on Thuirsday - he sent me another - and it arrived Friday morning! Now that is service!!!

I guess the first one got lost in the depths of some dusty Post Office somewhere. Or, more likely, was delivered to some other address and they simply couildn't believe their luck at receiving such a prestigious piece of print...
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

[quote] Mike's piece on Mercalli - or at least half of it - is there. Half of Tom's piece is there. Dave.
[/quote]
I think that's a situation we shouldn't be having Dave. I've had a word with Garth about it as there were 4 or maybe 5 articles that are 'continued next issue'. This wouldn't be so bad if FVM was a weekly, but being a bi-monthly means that when the next issue arrives I've well and truly forgotten what part 1 was all about.

On top of that four of my photographs were illustrating chunks of my article which had been edited out - so making a bit of a nonsense of Positive Image. I've suggested to Garth that it would be better to NOT have articles split by 2 months, but defer an article or two to the next issue to make room for the current ones.

Anyone else with me on this?

tom.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I agree that an article should be all in one issue if at all possible - to the point of using (dare I say it) a smaller type size and tighter line spacing. It would mean I have to wear two pairs of double strength reading glasses, but I'd rather that than try to remember, two months later, what the first part was about - or re-read it.

Re my piece on Mercalli - I think that was in its entirety. I deliberately kept the word count down. No need to hold your breath for more on that one!!
stingman

Post by stingman »

I have access to my clubs copy and `borrowed` it last night. One of the best bits I like in it is the articles on HD. The two that i`ve read so far have been about Reallife. This one is good as it mentions about rendering to normal DVD`s short clips in HD. Was this clip in HD viewed on his bluray? I noticed he mentioned a very long render/burn time! Also to note was the lip-sinc was out! We need to know all this stuff. The basics and day to day stuff is very important.

PLEASE keep these sort of `down to earth` articles going as it really helps the beginner in HD, or me on what to exspect, and the pitfalls of it all and also where to get cheap HD gear and what brands.

Thanks. Be good......

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The Jan Feb 09 FVM is going to be late I hear - due to the printers shutting down over Christmas. So don't be expecting it till mid Jan.
stingman

Post by stingman »

This thread seems to be a regular monthly post for some! But it`s good to have a direct contact with things.

Be good.....

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Printers shutting down for Christmas?

Bah!¬ Humbug!
:roll:

:lol: