Do you think AFVM is fit for purpose?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Anyone can write articles, at any time. Just do it, and submit them. However, without being disrespectful, I would suggest you switch on your Spell Checker first! (why leave it to the editor to check grammar and spelling - he has enough to do!)

I'm quite sure there's far more to being on the 'management committee' than coming up with new ideas. There's an AGM coming up, and I see that some members are up for re-election. I'm not sure of the procedures for the IAC committee (I have no ambition to join any more committees - I know just how much work is involved!!) but I am sure you could put your name forward for election. But from experience with just KFF and Seriac ... be prepared to devote a lot of time to the nitty gritty of committee work - unpaid!

Good luck.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Mike Shaw wrote: However, without being disrespectful, I would suggest you switch on your Spell Checker first! (why leave it to the editor to check grammar and spelling - he has enough to do!)

Good luck.
For YOUR information, a computer needs Office (AFAIK) for a spell check to work. This one doesn`t so no spell checking DOH.

Your mum and dad gave you the name Michael. Why be disrespecfull to them and shorten it! You may be able to press a button (wow) and get perfect spelling or even spell without it. I cannot.

Don`t be so rude!

Not being disrespectful to you, of course!

Be good.............

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Stingman - your spelling is terrible ... and you know it. (':wink:')

We don't care, we value your ideas and enthusiasm more than such details. I think that's what Mike meant ... we need lots of good ideas but they get more respect from people who don't know you, if they are written properly.

Try http://www.spellcheck.net as a free online spellchecker - copy and paste your text into it, see what changes it suggests, then copy the result and paste it into the forum message space - job done!

If you use Firefox as your web browser (and you should, its great) you can get an add-on that checks spelling for that - all free.

Cheers

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

You are of course right Dave, but......

.... the rules of useing Forums is that you don`t make fun or point at people`s dissabilities. It`s not set in stone, but I thought Mike would know this being as old as he is :wink: :wink: The reason for this is just so obvious. You don`t talk about Religion, dissabilities, creed, colour etc because it causes arguments and flameing!!

I`m bad at spelling, so what. Mike knows how to press a button and correct all his mistakes... Wow!

(my last post on this subject).

Be good and remember to start editing those films you shot over the summer.... Don`t forget now.. will you.

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes, I truly didn't mean or intend to offend. Its just that, having edited a society mag in the past, I know how extremely time consuming it is and to have to face the extra work of spell-checking is - in my opinion - an unecessary extra burden to place on a volunteer editor. Your views are always refreshing and polite. As Dave says, you don't need Office to have a spell checker - there are stacks out there - probably free ones as well. In any case, sadly,, spell checkers aren't always the answer anyway because they don't detect 'incorrect' words - for example I might want to say 'so' , but type 'sod' instead: spell-checkers are no use for things like that. And its an S. O. D.. when that happens!

Anyway, I say again, I had no intention to be rude or anything near rude or even on the fringe of being rude, honest gov! - just trying to help ease the editor's load.

Pax!
stingman

Post by stingman »

No problem Mike. It`s no problem.

I can understand if your involved with mags etc. I made a boo-boo once with my film titles. I soon got the lesson learned and triple checked my spellings.
On the computer however, all of us (at least me) are used to speed typing! You can just make out what I am saying when I do this!!

Cheers Mike

Be good...........

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Ahh! Speed writing! Explains all! That must be like what my daughters do when 'texting' me - takes them a few seconds to type out and send, takes me hours - and often a phone call! - to work out what they were trying to say!

"CU L8R" is the easy one - but some of the combinations ... help!
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Stingman - your spelling is terrible ... and you know it. (':wink:')

Dave
Yes, Stingman, Dave is right ... your spelling is awful ! (Joking)
But I know that my word choice is terrrible. I don't care at all. I think that more foreigners should do what I do ... writing messages for this forum. And also natives ...

In prehistoric times I was a severe teacher of Dutch. I thought that my pupils were very stupid ... because their spelling was bad. I always got angry. Now I have a different feeling about all those pretty girls who were my pupils. I didn't see their beauty anymore because of my irritation. Stupid of me, isn't it ?

I am sure you are far more intelligent than I am, Ian. I am not able to hold a hammer. When the fuses have blown and it is pitch dark and then I try to find a torch, but my wife must repair the fuses. I am so helpless. Technicians always evoke respect.

You are very communicative, Ian, ... that's excellent ! You are wearing the yellow jersey ! I like 99 % of your messages. Not all your messages, of course. That's normal. We sometimes write something ridiculous and we realize it after having written it, but then it's too late. It sometimes happens to me. Then I am ashamed that I have written the message and I can't delete it anymore. The things you write are also a reflection of your soul, of your character. In fact you give yourself away. I think that this is the reason why so many friends are not communicative on this forum.

All this doesn't mean that we should be careless in spelling. I still get annoyed at mistakes in titles, subtitles and credits.
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

Nice words Willy. What you cannot do in the real world, you make up for in your films. I`d sooner then make a good film, then be able to hold a hammer. LET the wife do it, they need to learn this sort of thing anyway!.

You are correct Willy. We send emails and reply to messages on this forum, sometimes a bit too quickly! Or sometimes when we send something, we hesitate on the send key for a bit, then we sometimes say `What the hell`... and still send it!

It does however keep the forum busy and people interested doesn`t it. We don`t (or I don`t anyway!) want this forum to be about 100 pages to record sound of an ant!.

This forum is about the people BEHIND the camera as well. It makes it personal and more fun.

I do however espect replys to this about only camera talk allowed or wanted. That would be your someones view. But exspect to have a stern reply!! Ha... Ha........

Be good all.........

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I got my renewal for FVM today, and I have to say, sadly, I didn't renew either.

I don't have any magic suggestions on what the IAC should do, but all I can offer is sincere feedback.

I've been a subscriber for 3 years, and I can honestly say that I have never excitedly opened the mag, and sat and read it cover to cover.

I guess one thing is it's predominantley black and white, with some colour pages. (Maybe I'm wrong, but that's still my impression) Graphicaly, it's kinda old-fashioned and uninspiring. Open any mag in WH Smiths and look at the brightness and freshness in their design.

Maybe have some hardware comparison reviews? I don't know what the readership is, but won't the manufacturers lend you a camera to review?

Maybe manufacture some controversy? It works great for the National Press! :-)

I'm afraid I still don't have any magic answers, but if you want to appeal to the under 50s, you have to appeal to the under 50s :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"