Time

IAC General Discussions
Roy

Time

Post by Roy »

To whom it may concern, I think the clock is wrong on this forum. On my last post it shows the time registered as being an Hour slow. Roy Alexander
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Roy

Yes, this phased me for a while ... but if you look closely you will see the note that all times as GMT - and as we are still on BST (British Summer Time) we are running an hour ahead of GMT.

Dave
Roy

as post

Post by Roy »

Hi Dave, Mystery solved. Thanks. Roy
Willy

Re: as post

Post by Willy »

Roy wrote:Hi Dave, Mystery solved. Thanks. Roy
Hi Roy,
I think it is excellent that British time is not continental time.
I always go to Britain on my birthday. Thanks to British time I could stay a fiftier one hour longer ! I enjoyed every minute of that hour very much. Oh, dear, that was already more than one year ago ! I have already planned a journey to Preston and Bridestowe next year.
Willy Van der Linden
Roy

as post

Post by Roy »

Hi Willy, I am glad you enjoy the extra hour Britain gives you. with me the problem is always to remember to put our clocks forward or backward as the case may be. Enjoy your trip to Preston . I've never heard of Bridestowe, but whereever it is enjoy your visit. You should visit Beamish open air Museum in the North East of England, you could make an interesting film there which would interest your friends. I've made one, I'll send you a copy if you would like. Regards Roy
Willy

Post by Willy »

Roy wrote:Hi Willy, I am glad you enjoy the extra hour Britain gives you. with me the problem is always to remember to put our clocks forward or backward as the case may be. Enjoy your trip to Preston . I've never heard of Bridestowe, but whereever it is enjoy your visit. You should visit Beamish open air Museum in the North East of England, you could make an interesting film there which would interest your friends. I've made one, I'll send you a copy if you would like. Regards Roy
Bridestowe is in Devon, Roy. It's in the south. My English friend Brian Higbee lives there. He's an artist and folksinger. We've known each other for more than 25 years now. He is also one of the reasons why I love Britain. Thanks to him I discovered the beauty of some areas in your country.

Yes, of course it would be great if you could send me a copy of your Beamish film. I will send you one of mine. I've already seen leaflets to promote Beamish Open Air Museum. Next week
on 5th October I will pass Durham by car on the A1. I am on my way to Brian Dunckley then who will take me to Edinburgh. Perhaps I've already told you that I've already stayed in a youth hostel in Durham. I also remember a B & B near Darlington. I was making a trip to Jedburgh. And Wooler ! But that is further north !

My first visit to an English pub !
I was a young lad of only 18. I had a drink in the local pub. It was the very first time that I visited an English pub. I drank two pints of bitter. Strange those large ones I thought. We don't have them on the continent. Some men were playing dice. An old man was playing his violin. The atmosphere was fantastic. There were also some pretty girls in the pub. At 11 pm the landlord rang the bell and we had to leave. Also this was very strange to me. In Belgium you can stay in a pub until 3 am or even later. Together with my friend and two pretty girls we went back to our ... youth hostel. We were singing "House of the Rising Sun", a song by "The Animals". In the morning the "father" of the youth hostel didn't want to give our YHA-membership cards back. We had been too noisy the night before. I got into a panic because I was short of money. My parents were not so rich and staying in hotels was too expensive. I begged him to give my card back. He did, but we had learnt a lesson : two pints of bitter means four glasses of beer in Belgium !

Autobiographical
Maybe it would be interesting to make a travelogue with intermezzi like that. Two young lads... They are students and they go to Britain to improve their English. Their first trip to Britain is quite an adventure. It would be an autobiographical film.

I could tell you more stories like that about my first trip to the UK, but of course this is not the place to do this. Maybe in a film...
Willy Van der Linden
Roy

Post Subject

Post by Roy »

Hi Willy, nice to hear about you. I know Brian Dunckley quite well, he is in the same ACA Newcastle club as myself. As you are passing Durham soon, you will be only two or three minutes from my house, and you would be very welcome to pop in for a snack and talk and also see the Beamish film on the big screen. If you would like to do that, please send me an Email at roy.wcs@talktalk.net with your e-mail address and I will send you details how to come to my house from the A1(M). Best wishes Roy
Peter

Post by Peter »

Willy wrote:

I was a young lad of only 18. I had a drink in the local pub. It was the very first time that I visited an English pub. I drank two pints of bitter. Strange those large ones I thought. We don't have them on the continent. Some men were playing dice. An old man was playing his violin. The atmosphere was fantastic. There were also some pretty girls in the pub. At 11 pm the landlord rang the bell and we had to leave. Also this was very strange to me. In Belgium you can stay in a pub until 3 am or even later. Together with my friend and two pretty girls we went back to our ... youth hostel. We were singing "House of the Rising Sun", a song by "The Animals". In the morning the "father" of the youth hostel didn't want to give our YHA-membership cards back. We had been too noisy the night before. I got into a panic because I was short of money. My parents were not so rich and staying in hotels was too expensive. I begged him to give my card back. He did, but we had learnt a lesson : two pints of bitter means four glasses of beer in Belgium !
I always thought you lot over there drank from litre sized glasses!! Anyway, two pints of English beer is not much, as I know people who can get through 12 pints on a bad day!!

What did you do with the pretty girls, or should I not ask?????
Peter
Willy

Post by Willy »

Peter wrote:
Willy wrote:

I always thought you lot over there drank from litre sized glasses!! Anyway, two pints of English beer is not much, as I know people who can get through 12 pints on a bad day!!

What did you do with the pretty girls, or should I not ask?????
Love, haggis and diarrhoea !
I didn't do anything, Peter ! My friend Joseph was in love with one of these girls. They followed us and we spent the night in Edinburgh Youth Hostel. The following day we went to Fort William and we climbed the Ben Nevis. Perhaps I have already told you the story. We climbed the Ben Nevis in the footsteps of these two nice girls. My friend, however, had diarrhoea. Perhaps he had eaten too much haggis in the morning. He tried to move his bowels behind some pretty little rocks. He felt miserable. He lost every chance to win the heart of the pretty young maiden. But yes, maybe she was in love with me. Who knows ? The following day we looked in each other's eyes and we parted ... Oh, Peter, you are a naughty boy ... in fact my feelings are none of your business ! After all I think I'm not going to make such a biographical film. I'm not able to climb the Ben Nevis anymore. We are 40 years later !
Willy Van der Linden
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes, it's 40 years too late for me too. I would not have any idea what to do with two pretty girls anymore. I would need to look it up in one of those manuals...
Peter