Open Evening

IAC General Discussions
stingman

Open Evening

Post by stingman »

Are people loosing interest in making films or isn`t anybody interested anymore.

Last night we held our `Open Evening`. Once a year we open our doors to the public and show some of our films. None of mine were shown. :shock: :shock: ... Long story :x
We put posters up in shops etc, and do you know. No-one new turned up :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :(

Is this a new trend that is happening? or does the club need a new youngster (Me :shock: :lol: :lol: ) back on the committee?!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Peter

Re: Open Evening

Post by Peter »

stingman wrote:Are people loosing interest in making films or isn`t anybody interested anymore.

Last night we held our `Open Evening`. Once a year we open our doors to the public and show some of our films. None of mine were shown. :shock: :shock: ... Long story :x
We put posters up in shops etc, and do you know. No-one new turned up :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :(

Is this a new trend that is happening? or does the club need a new youngster (Me :shock: :lol: :lol: ) back on the committee?!
Well, I'm very sad to say that this IS the trend. Worthwhile things like film-making, serious music and drama etc., are all out of favour. People are more interested in getting drunk, getting laid, going to night clubs, catching imfectious diseases, listening to rap, killing each other, and generally getting into crime and drugs.

Mind you, we used to do a lot of that, but we also made good films and good music. But it will all end soon when we all fry during global warming. I think I would prefer that to rap music anyday.
Peter
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

whoooaaaaaa there......

I don't think that's the case at all !!!!!!!

Have you seen some of the films / videos on the internet ???

there's hundreds of thousands of them!!....
isn't this such a diverse hobby !!!!

admittedly there is a bit of a gap to bridge between filmmakers (less than 25 years old) and the boys who have come through the ranks, but that gap will shorten over the coming years...

but hey.....

lets not condemn the whole thing on the odd open night !!!!

and even more important... let's not condemn the youth of today on the stupidity of the minority....... some of the 'young people' my daughter has for friends are just so full of life, fresh ideas, and enjoying life to the full without participating in the negative things stated above !!!

sorrry .......... rant over....
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry, can't agree with that at all!! Let's be realistic about this and not look through rose tinted glasses.
Peter
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I wonder if "open night" sounds attractive to most people.

How about "Free festival of local movies ..."

or

"Are you the next Spielberg? Come and find out ..."

Sell the sizzle, not the sausage!

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

Dave Watterson wrote:I wonder if "open night" sounds attractive to most people.

How about "Free festival of local movies ..."

or

"Are you the next Spielberg? Come and find out ..."

Sell the sizzle, not the sausage!

Dave
Quite possibly you are right for once Dave :lol:
May be `Open Night` does sound a bit dead and boring. I didn`t really want to go myself! They show the same old films.
None of my films were shown so the films that were shown were the `Standard Affairs` that were just too damn basic.

I`ll put it to the committee (in an email) about some of my ideas. I was leaving this untill the next AGM, when it will be an `All or Nothing` situation. I`ll think i`ll write down the ideas, wait and see what happens.

Thank you to the others on here for your thoughts.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker