Laughter is the best medicine

IAC General Discussions
Willy

Laughter is the best medicine

Post by Willy »

The Party
Some weeks ago we had a film show in our village hall. It was packed tight. My documentary "Breendonk" was shown. "Excellent film" most people said, but they seemed to be more impressed by a film that won many awards for "best humour". It made me think of Tunbridge Wells. My brother attended BIAFF for the first time and one of his favourites was "The Party" by Alisan Beady. It will also be screened in Guernsey and of course I am looking forward to see it again. I know that Ken Wilson has some very good funny films, but there are dialogues in them.

Funny films without dialogues for foreigners
Now I thought : why not trying to find funny British films made by amateurs without any dialogues in for our local and regional festivals in Flanders ? I would be very grateful to you, my dear Forum-friends, if you could send me such a film or if you could give me some suggestions. Of course I am always filling to pay for it.

Also our own one minute movies are good for such film shows. They are excellent intermezzi. Most of our films are very serious but I feel that funny films are more appreciated by the audience than films lacking lightness or gaiety. That's what we all need, don't we ? Laughter is a good medicine, isn't it ?

I've beaten my brains out.
I've already tried to make a scenario for a funy film like "The Party", but that is not simple, you know. It's easier to make gloomy films, films without any cheerfulness. I've already beaten my brains out, but up to now without any success. Maybe I can find inspiration in cartoons or jokes. Maybe they are a good starting-point for a funny film.
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

I have posted Willy by `PM` about some suggestions.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

There are some short films without (many) words which would fit the bill.
  • "Stripped" by Mark Jackson which you may have seen at BIAFF.
    "Rein Geschaftlich" by Thomas Manglitz & Stephan Lenzen in the IAC library FT/V192
    "A Day at the Park" by Daniel Greenway in the library V239
    "Duel" by Friedrich & Martin Kober (Austria) in the library V240
    "Flat Out" bySpring Park Cine & Video Society V306
    "The Shoot" by Terry Mendoza V150
    "The Thing from Beneath the Bed" by Chris Jones FT/V51
    "The Wormhole at Britwell Salome" by Reading Film & Video Makers
Any others people remember?

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for these suggestions.
Now I've thought of organizing a national festival. The embryo of an idea. We may ask the members of our Belgian clubs to make short funny films or comedies without any dialogues. Maybe these films are useful for international festivals like BIAFF, Guernsey, the Cotswolds, AMPS, ... We could try. First I will talk to some other presidents of the film clubs in our region about it. A festival of laughter ! We could use a picture of Laurel and Hardy as "trademark", but I fear that I'm not allowed to do this without any permission. Anyway, what do you think of it ?
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

Willy wrote: We could use a picture of Laurel and Hardy as "trademark", but I fear that I'm not allowed to do this without any permission. Anyway, what do you think of it ?
Or better still, a more upto date person would be Mr Bean.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Peter

Post by Peter »

The biggest laugh could be me trying to learn how to edit video again after a gap of two years plus!!

Anyone got any tips about Adobe Elements editing program - it's really quite different to anything I've used before.

It's all coming back very slowly.
Peter
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I meant to issue a word of caution about using jokes as the basis of a funny movie.

Most good jokes - and a mountain of rotten ones - circulate on the internet these days. I have seen several films based on such jokes and they almost all feel like pale imitations of the original. Usually they simply illustrate the story in a rather straightforward manner.

Some make the mistake of trying to film jokes which really only work as words. I have seen at least two separate versions of this one:

"A gorgeous woman wanders over to the bar and seductively smiles at the barman, she reaches up and caresses his beard and asks: 'Are you the manager?'
'No', he replies.
'Can you get him for me?' she purrs as she runs her fingers through his hair.
'Sorry he isn't here. Is there anything I can do?' he asks.
Sliding a finger across his lips and slipping it into his mouth she murmurs:'Yes. Tell him there's no paper in the ladies loo.'"

It sounds amusing but in practice the seduction bit looks far too artificial to take the barman in for a moment and the punch line is even nastier when you have watched the action. On film it isn't funny.

Franc Kopic, a Slovenian film amateur, regularly makes simple cartoon animations based on internet jokes. They are vaguely admired for the work involved, but rarely regarded as funny.

As always the trick is to devise a new narrative of your own around the incident which sparks your imagination. Give it three acts: beginning, middle and end. Use all the film making tools at your disposal to tell the story - no skimping because it is "just a joke" - and give it as much production value as possible.

As Willy suggests - it is easier to tackle a serious, heavyweight subject than to make people laugh.

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I made a film in 2004 called "Seven Shades" which is a silent comedy in monochrome 4:3 done in the style of early romantic comedies. We even used the railway track- classic stuff! :D
Willy

Post by Willy »

FILM THURSO wrote:I made a film in 2004 called "Seven Shades" which is a silent comedy in monochrome 4:3 done in the style of early romantic comedies. We even used the railway track- classic stuff! :D
I would be grateful, Thurso man, if you send me a copy of that film. I will pay for it or I will send some copies of my own films. Please, do not bite !

In the mean time some other forum friends have a proposal on my personal email address. Many thanks for it.
Willy Van der Linden
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Half a mo, I'm flossing my fangs!

I'll have a go sometime soon at making a dvd of it but my pc hasn't been behaving and is producing jittery videos but I'll do what I can. Meanwhile send me your mailing details. :D

(a cheque for a couple of grand would be a good insentive but a grand couple of Checks might make a cast on my next movie! :shock: )