This year's AMPS Winners

IAC General Discussions
ned c

This year's AMPS Winners

Post by ned c »

Joint First
The Pinnacle (Altrincham Video Society UK)
Breendonk (Willy Van der Linden Belgium)

Second
Life's Little Gaps (Scott Hillhouse USA)

Third
When Talk Works! (Joyce Axelrod USA)

Best Short Comedy
It's Hot (Eddie Evans USA)

Best Experimental
The Wishing Well (Rod Maxwell USA)

Best Documentary (Joint Winners)
Breendonk
The Pinnacle

Best Travel
The Charm of Italy (Deakins NZ)

Best Nature
Spider! (John Sirett Australia)

Best Photography
Life's Little Gaps (Brian Tabberer USA)

Best Foreign Entry (Joint Winners)
The Pinnacle
Breendonk

Best Editing
The Pinnacle

Best entry by an AMPS member
Breendonk

Certificates of Merit

Thailand (Deakins NZ)
The Little Knight (Siebert Germany)
Norwegian Byways (LeoTallieu USA)
Roundup (Richard Swain USA)
Making the Wishing Well (Rod Maxwell USA)
Thomas (David PatrickUK)
St Peter (Stephen Green UK)
Feelings Awakening (Fran Covic Slovenia)
Candlelight (Darren Cyples UK)
Amateur Expert #1 (Paul Hansen USA)
Nagasaki (Leeders USA)
The Last Dive (Matt Jenkins USA)
Numbers (Terry Mendoza & Lester Redding)
Tech Support (Walt & Pam Gilmore)
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Wow - you are releasing the results a month before the festival ... is that an AMPS first?

Obviously on this side of the pond we don't know a lot of the US entries. We do know and admire 'The Pinnacle' and 'Breendonk' so are happy to see them getting great awards from AMPS.

John Sirett's "Spider", Oskar Siebert's "The Little Knight", Darren Cyples's "Candlelight" and the Mendoza/Redding production "Numbers" are also fairly well known here.

I am guessing that the Slovenian entry was actually by Franc Kopic whose animated jokes have graced many a festival.

I do hope we can see some of the other winners in due course over here. Good luck for the festival in Buena Park on 12-13 October. Many of us will be at the Guernsey Lily festival that weekend so we will raise a glass to you all.

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

Dave Watterson wrote:Wow - you are releasing the results a month before the festival ... is that an AMPS first?

Dave
I have alot of admoration for my friend Ned C. But I think it`s a bit bad to gererally release the results of a competition before the event! (If i`ve got it right from the above posts!)

I personally think this is bad :shock: :shock: !
Why is it done. It spoiles the tension of the competition and the event.
It`s like knowing the results before you watch match of the day (football)!
I`ve taped games of England playing (when i`ve been at work) and I then turn off all news/sports bullatins. I don`t bring it up in conversation and I try to be low key untill I get home to watch it in the evening. What happens if I don`t succeed in all of this. I feel really peeded off (as so would anyone else.

I may be abit OTT on this.

How do others feel?
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Ah Ian, you have missed a marketing point ...

Many festivals release some or all of the details before the event to encourage successful film makers to attend the meeting!

The more top film makers are there the better for the festival coffers and the better for all the audience because people like to meet the winners.

I know what you mean about wanting to maintain tension and surprise, though. The BIAFF answer is to keep back the name of the Daily Mail Trophy winner until the end of the prize-giving at the festival. The film maker knows he or she has an "International Standard" (from next year a "Diamond standard") award and so is likely to turn up. But no one apart from the judges and competitio manager knows which of the 7 or 8 "Internationals" has won the top prize.

Cheers

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

I am answering from East Anglia so am under an English sky.

We advise all the winners individually by e-mail and then release the results for general circulation. We hope people will attend the Convention to collect their awards. The early release this year is because I am in England at present (as from yesterday) and wanted everything done before I left the USA.

There is one result to be gathered at the Convention and that is the Audience Choice.

regards to all and thanks to the entrants and congrats to the winners

ned
Willy

Post by Willy »

[quote="ned c"]I am answering from East Anglia so am under an English sky.

East Anglia is beautiful, Ned. About 17 years ago I made a film about that area. The title of my film is "Old World Charm". I still did the camera work with my 8mm canon camera. The contents of that film : Newmarket and the horse races, Ely, Cambridge, Ely, Norwich, Peterborough and its cathedral, the otter trust, the Constable area, Lavenham which is one of the most beautiful villages in England, etc... In fact I should see it again but I fear that the old projector in our club does not work anymore.

Of course I would like to attend the festival in Los Angeles in order to collect the awards for "Breendonk", but unfortunately I am afraid of flying. I cannot help it. I have already read a special book to recover from that phobia, but I still have that awful feeling. Today an airplane crashed in Phukei in Thailand, but I also know that every day thousands and thousands of people are killed in car accidents.

Moreover on 13th October I will be in Guernsey for the Lily Festival just like Dave. I am not going by air, but by car to St. Malo and then by the Condor Fast Ferry to that beautiful island.
So my apologies for not being able to come to the States.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Willy - maybe you could film yourself giving a greeting to the Americans and thanking them for the award. If you send that to Ned's American address on a DVD they might play it at the convention.

At last year's Guernsey Lily Festival there were some short clips of that sort - indeed they are on the Guernsey Lily website under the heading "Acceptance Speeches".

Obviously everyone would prefer to see you in person, but quite apart from your flying phobia, it is often simply not possible. Our Scottish friends are only too delighted that you are willing to travel by ferry and car to Stirling to give a talk on 7th October.

It would be great if Eddie Irwin would do the same for "Pinnacle".

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:
Willy - maybe you could film yourself giving a greeting to the Americans and thanking them for the award. If you send that to Ned's American address on a DVD they might play it at the convention.
Yes, Dave, that's a good idea. I will do this. Now I'm in a hurry because I will have to do other things for the Volunteer Passchendaele Society and to prepare my trips to Scotland and Guernsey, but "first things first". A DVD will be sent to our forum friend Ned Cordery. Many thanks for that suggestion.
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Dave & Willy, any other wiiners who read the forum will be very welcome to send a short disc of comments. Most welcome. I am staying in Lavenham, we rent a cottage on the square opposite the Guildhall. E Anglia is where we lived for 16 years (our longest in one place) and remains my spiritual home.

Ned C
Willy

Post by Willy »

ned c wrote:Thanks Dave & Willy, any other wiiners who read the forum will be very welcome to send a short disc of comments. Most welcome. I am staying in Lavenham, we rent a cottage on the square opposite the Guildhall. E Anglia is where we lived for 16 years (our longest in one place) and remains my spiritual home.

Ned C
Hello Ned. Some years ago we stayed in a B&B in Lavenham. It was in the market square. I remember it was called "Angel Corner" or something like that. Anyway it was also opposite the Guidhall right in the corner. Maybe we stayed in the same cottage.
Willy Van der Linden