Why did you join the IAC?

IAC General Discussions
stingman

Post by stingman »

I`m on a thought provoking week this week!

If not. Why not?

I joined the IAC because I made films for fun and competitions in my club. It feels good to be a member of a national organisation of a hobby your interested in. The IAC also does a good Copyright Licence at an affordable price.

There are other reasons but that`s enough for now!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

I joined the IAC about 1970 (?) as I was a member of a UK cine club and wanted to know what was going on in the wider world of amateur film making. Although I have been a "dormant" member for many years, never attended a Convention, I did attend several of the great Wansfell courses in the days of Ron Wing, Sidney Manasseh etc. All film originally although in the early 90s (?) I did go on a course for NLE which was my introduction to it and very good it was too. Now that I am "retired" theoretically I have more time for amateur film work but as any retiree will tell you we are so busy only wish I had done this tears ago, or as my wife says "if I had known how great grandchildren are we should have had them first", serious rambling setting in, time for my medication.

ned c
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

The copyright licenses are the main reason. Without them our films would be so inhibited and any music we could have gotten would not be able to extend to the needs of most of our work. Most of our films have a story nature that requires orchestral soundtracks and whilst we do have an orchestra available there is some music they self-confess to having problems with. We do have films using rock and indie music though. There are other plusses to the IAC like this forum where we can make contact (and abuse each other's credability). The magazine is good too as it lets us see what everyone else is up to (and perhaps should be locked away for!).
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I joined the IAC in the 1970's initially for the copyright license but I very soon became aware that being a member gave me access to the broader amateur movement, good fellowship and advice.

In the ensuing years I have made a tremendous number of good friends in the IAC (also in SAM here in Scotland) and this has added immeasurably to my enjoyment of films and film making. With the web-site, which I think is one of the best around, the magazine which for me is essential reading, the forum which never fails to be stimulating, the national festivals and all the other services I think the IAC is a wonderful organisation.
Brian Saberton
Willy

Re: Why did you join the IAC?

Post by Willy »

[quote="stingman

I joined the IAC about 11 years ago. Maybe because I love Britain. I prefer the British atmosphere rather than the Belgian one at festivals. I am sure that all my friends who have already attended BIAFF and other festivals on the Albion and in Guernsey share my opinion. I think it's good to have a strong relationship with the Continent. Thanks to the IAC I also work together with friends from Preston and I have many friends in Scotland, Guernsey and England. We must always try to work across the border. It's not good to wear eye patches all the time. (= Dutch expression). We must try to broaden our outlook. Also the IAC magazine is wonderful. Our own Belgian one is a thick book with artistic photographs in it. I always enjoy them but there are not many articles about filmmaking in it. Filmmaking and photography : it's a arranged marriage by our Minister of Culture. I've already told you about it and Dave Watterson has already explained everything some weeks ago. He knows the situation on the Continent very well.

In Tunbridge Wells Linda Gough told us that there are about 2,000 IAC members. Maybe I didn't understand it very well. In fact there should be more. We must do our utmost to encourage friends to become a member of the IAC.

There is also an other thing : this forum. I only wonder why only a few friends write articles. Do you know the reason why ? There are so many Forum-readers and there are only a few "chatterboxes" ? I think I do ... Do you ?
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Why Did You Join The IAC.

Post by Michael Slowe »

I joined in about 1973 for the same reasons as others have stated plus the fact that at the time they ran the second most important film competition. I think that the Ten Best was probably the main one because of its international appeal and better publicity for the winners (National Film Theatre, TV's 'Clapperboard' programme, reviews of the winners in the national press).
But the IAC is a real club and one makes so many friends and the festival provides a wonderful opportunity to meet, discuss filmaking and of course to see films that give us a yardstick against which to assess our own work.
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

oops! Intended to post somewhere else! :shock:
stingman

Post by stingman »

FILM THURSO wrote:oops! Intended to post somewhere else! :shock:
Don`t do it again :oops: !! We want a tidy board.

Oops! As the surgeon cut off the left leg instead of the right one!

Oops! Not a word you want to hear!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
bunny

Post by bunny »

I cant remember when I joined the IAC or why. I think it was in the mid 60s and that I just felt it was a good organisation to support. Since then I have never entered any IAC completion's as I haven't made any films yet that are good enough. As Ned C said now that I am retired I don't have enough time to think about making any competition winners :)

To me the magazine alone is worth the membership money.
Growing old is inevitable growing up is optional
Souterman

Post by Souterman »

I joined the IAC just to broaden my horizons simply when I started I only thought about my local club. But there is a great big world out there. Everyone I have met has been very helpful and friendly. That is people from all over the world maybe wearing the kilt has helped on these special occasions thanks to the IAC and it's organisers. F
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I joined about 4 years ago, as I was being kept regularly up to date with copies of our magazine from my great friend at Newcastle ACA - Joe Clark. I felt guilty that he bought his subscription and I just helped myself to some of the benefits of it.

But as me and Joe make some movies with music, and also have the music license, we're happy be on board.