TV VIEWING OF DVD's

IAC General Discussions
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

In Caithness 'beamer' means to be embarrassed from going bright red with embarrassment, beam (like beam of light) beaming (bright) beamer - bright red! i.e. He was really embarrassed" becomes, "He took a right beamer".
Willy

Re: TV Viewing of DVD's

Post by Willy »

[quote="Michael Slowe"]Although the LCD screens are improving all the time (especially when viewing HD) I still prefer the Plasma screens. They seem to give a far warmer more natural image, as Dave says, but of course they are more expensive and probably have a shorter life span.

Yes, Plasma screens are much more expensive. I have a leaflet with me : an LCD screen TV Sumsung, 66 sm, resolution 1366x768 costs 500 euros. A Philips, 81 cm. Same resolution 1000 euros. TV sets with plasma screens are not advertised. I think that everything is much cheaper on the continent.But, please don't buy them here. The plugs are different and you cannot cross the Channel each time when you have a problem. Also the "after service" is important. Many Belgians buy cameras and other things in Germany, but when these things are out of order they have big problems.
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

I live at 5000 feet and was told that plasma screens are not rceommended and a local community at 9000 feet have been told not to use plasma screens at all. Apparently something to do with the internal/external pressure difference. We still use a projection TV (beamer!!) but having seen a friend's 52 inch Aquos LCD this looks like the direction we will take. I have a 24 inch LCD in the studio, good results although different from my Sony CRT monitor.

Ned C
Peter

Post by Peter »

Willy wrote:
In my mind the British are also Europeans (look at the globe !) and I'm sure that also Dave has that feeling. He's not against Europe at all ! On the contrary !
We are sort of European - in as much as we love Europe and it's wonderful culture, languages and peoples. But we don't like our laws being made "over there." We can't boot you Europeans out if you pass laws we don't want!! We want integration without subjugation. Hitler tried that and failed. We want freedom and to be able to reject the new constitution (now called a "treaty") with a referendum. We would like to make a gift to you of M Thatcher, the Queen and R family, and Tony Bliar, providing you keep them for good!!
Willy wrote: Post stamps ... for Europe !
In England you can buy post stamps for the UK and post stamps for Europe. Strange ! I would say ... post stamps for the Continent. But, please, I don't want to open any political discussion. Please, Ian, do not reply to this ! You are my British friend ! I'm just teasing a little bit.
Willy (risking his neck ? )
Yes, we are a VERY strange lot!! Sorry to introduce politics Willy!! I expected I will be ticked off now by a certain person from north of the border ... (or maybe just north ...)
Peter
Willy

Post by Willy »

Peter wrote:
Willy wrote:

Yes, we are a VERY strange lot!! Sorry to introduce politics Willy!! I expected I will be ticked off now by a certain person from north of the border ... (or maybe just north ...)

Sorry, friends. I shouldn't have done this. I will continue this discussion about politics on Peter's private email address. If he does not mind of course. My apologies !
Willy Van der Linden
stingman

Post by stingman »

Ouch!! I go away for half a day with the works internet down and come and see this :shock:
It`s normally me in the S H 1 T!

I`m south of the border, well really, really south. I see where you are both coming from. I do! No really!

I am Pro English and European! What we don`t like is that laws are made in other countrys and we have to obey them. If the same law was thought up in this country, then that would be ok. But so have say, a Frenchman or other to think up a law and then we have to do it is a bit of a no no. But almost everything else is ok. The people, the different places and cultures are excitting.

And being an International Forum, we all like each other and that`s what count.

Now European Human Right. How much problems has THIS Cr** caused!

I won`t disscuss this subject anymore. It`s also best not to on here really :shock: :D :D :lol: 8)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote:

And you can certainly contact me "back Channel" as our friends over the pond say!! But that means the people on here will miss our masterful conversations!!

So I suppose they will have to be just green with envy, and dissapointment...
:( :) :o :shock: :? 8) :D
Peter
stingman

Post by stingman »

`Back Channel` (PM) me as well! I would like to join in as well. How selfish of you two not to include me in it!! :shock: :) :)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Here's my thoughts: (see stock market crash)
I'm a Thurso man, there is no finer town. Thurso is in Caithness of which there is no finer county, Caithness is in Scotland of which there is no better country, Scotland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (even if we get independance) of which there is no greater nation & union, Great Britain is on planet Earth and we'll blow any Sunday Trucker out of the sky if they try to harm our world, nation, country, county or town! It's our job to screw it up. :D
Love Earth, love Britain, love Scotland, love Caithness, love Thurso- and ma wee hoose! Keep yur mits theevin off ma Kalee 12. :x
Peter

Post by Peter »

stingman wrote:`Back Channel` (PM) me as well! I would like to join in as well. How selfish of you two not to include me in it!! :shock: :) :)
OK darling, three to a bed is fine with me ... :oops:
Peter
stingman

Post by stingman »

Peter wrote:
OK darling, three to a bed is fine with me ... :oops:
Oi Peter. Don`t you believe the rumours, there not true :oops: I`m not into guys, YUCK! Sharon Stone and that new blond bit from Eastenders then...... No, it`s too early in the morning to get two excited.... Better stop there!
As Father Ted says `The money was just resting in my account!`
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Well Ian, your not interested in I.Q. either I see by your choice of Bimbo magazine! :lol:
stingman

Post by stingman »

Ouch :D I do tend to go for the Blonde with the big..............

Better stop me thinks :oops:
Ian Gardner
Film Maker