TV VIEWING OF DVD's

IAC General Discussions
Roy

TV VIEWING OF DVD's

Post by Roy »

Is it just me and my old eyes or is a fact that when I play back DVD's I have burnt myself, they appear to be visually more acceptable on a CRT television than on a LCD television?
Roy Alexander
stingman

Re: TV VIEWING OF DVD's

Post by stingman »

Roy wrote:Is it just me and my old eyes or is a fact that when I play back DVD's I have burnt myself, they appear to be visually more acceptable on a CRT television than on a LCD television?
Roy Alexander
It may be you Roy but......................!

I havn`t seen any of my work on a LCD TV.
CRT Televisions tend to have a softer picture and look better in my opinion. LCD tv`s tend to give a bit of ghosting (lag) and show up artifacts more.

I have a 32" Widescreen CRT and the picture is excellent. But in a few years after buying other bits and pieces I plan to get a bigger TV. Plasma would be nice but I think it may be LCD. I will be VERY, VERY carefull on what one I buy, Even the same model and make can have a different picture!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

My own experience is that my DVD's look better on my 32" LCD than on my old CRT.They are also excellent when projected. I make my copies by using a DVD recorder rather than burning them in the computer.
Brian Saberton
stingman

Post by stingman »

Brian Saberton wrote:My own experience is that my DVD's look better on my 32" LCD than on my old CRT.They are also excellent when projected. I make my copies by using a DVD recorder rather than burning them in the computer.
The only problem with DVD Recorders is that the only decent way of seeing the DVD is to use the same DVD Recorder it was done on! I`m speaking from our Club experiences. DVD`s that were burn`t on Peoples DVD Recorders (The one`s under the television) Tended to freeze the frames and continue the sound. The picture would then catch up fast! This is when played on a `standard` DVD player at the club.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I've been able to make DVD's on my recorder and play on other machines without any difficulty using DVD-R. I gather that +R can be a problem.
Brian Saberton
Roy

Post by Roy »

Brian Wrote
My own experience is that my DVD's look better on my 32" LCD than on my old CRT.They are also excellent when projected. I make my copies by using a DVD recorder rather than burning them in the computer.
This is only a surmise but you mention your CRT Television as being old. Could this be why you say the LCD picture is better?

I use a 32 " CRT widescreen TV with built in freeview box coupled with a Panasonic DVD recorder which also has a built in freeview box and to me it provides a softer image which reminds me of the look I used to get with a film projector many years ago. i.e. the picture is warmer. However it's only my
opinion and not relevant anymore, as I have been lucky enough to purchase very cheaply a Panasonic multi media Projector and also a Pull down ceiling mounted screen, and so I am now showing all my productions on a big screen. I have never had any bother with DVD's which I have burnt on the recorder, and there doesn't appear to be any difference in quality to the ones burnt on the computer. The only time when the computer scores better is when putting chapters on the video. Roy Alexander
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

So far as I know CRT displays are still capable of providing a slightly better colour response than LCD screens, though they are often less sharp than an LCD screen at its native resolution.

BUT

Many modern LCDs sold for use as television sets - and many modern video-projectors (I like the European name for them: beamers) - have provision on them for very detailed tweaking of the picture. The signal goes through a processor which can be adjusted for all sorts of variations. It may be worth getting out the handbook and experimenting to see if you can persuade the LCD to give you the warmth you enjoy from CRT.

There is a test disc DVD from Avia which is a great help when setting up a tv or projector. ["The Avia Guide to Home Theater" is available from amazon uk for £18.80. As the spelling suggests it is an American product and one or two items in it relate specifically to NTSC but most of the huge battery of tests and advice applies equally to PAL.]

So don't assume that your new LCD or projector is read to use straight from the box ... see what adjustments are available.

Cheers

Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

[quote="Dave Watterson"]
Many modern LCDs sold for use as television sets - and many modern video-projectors (I like the European name for them: beamers) -

Beamer
Does it mean that the British never use the word "beamer" ? In my mind the British are also Europeans (look at the globe !) and I'm sure that also Dave has that feeling. He's not against Europe at all ! On the contrary !

Post stamps ... for Europe !
In England you can buy post stamps for the UK and post stamps for Europe. Strange ! I would say ... post stamps for the Continent. But, please, I don't want to open any political discussion. Please, Ian, do not reply to this ! You are my British friend ! I'm just teasing a little bit.
Willy (risking his neck ? )
Willy Van der Linden
Roy

Post by Roy »

Willy wrote
Does it mean that the British never use the word "beamer" ? In my mind the British are also Europeans (look at the globe !) and I'm sure that also Dave has that feeling. He's not against Europe at all ! On the contrary !

Hi Willy, We British , or some of us, use the word Beamer as a slang term meaning a B.M.W. Motor car. and the word Roller is used in the same manner for a Rolls-Royce, Also Granny is short for a Ford Granada. This is sent to you in fun, but it is true. Roy Alexander :lol:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

These are just the sort of language problems which make life "interesting" for those of us who sometimes translate and/or subtitle films !

Maybe there is a film to be made about such common usages which are not in the formal dictionaries ...

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

Willy wrote: Please, Ian, do not reply to this ! You are my British friend ! I'm just teasing a little bit.
Willy (risking his neck ? )
Do you know Willy (my friend), my finger was starting to hover over the mouse, ready to hit the reply button. Then I noticed the above sentence!!!!

I`ve never heard the word `Beamer`, only as in BMW! There are many words `over here` that certain parts of the UK use, but others in the UK don`t. Then we have country accents like the Scots 8) Just my monday morning windup!

Have a nice week my friends.

I love my Continental friends :D
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
stingman

Post by stingman »

Dave Watterson wrote:
Maybe there is a film to be made about such common usages which are not in the formal dictionaries ...

Dave
I see a comody film idea coming!

Like the word `Beer Can`. Say it with an accent, and it becomes `Bacon`! Excellent! 8)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

I remember attending a meeting in France with representatives from three Europesan countries all of whom spoke English. A Scottish colleague said the result of a course of action would be "a fine kettle of fish". You can imagine the result wityh the explanation taking up the rest of the meeting,

Ned C
Michael Slowe

TV Viewing of DVD's

Post by Michael Slowe »

Although the LCD screens are improving all the time (especially when viewing HD) I still prefer the Plasma screens. They seem to give a far warmer more natural image, as Dave says, but of course they are more expensive and probably have a shorter life span. Yesterday I was in someone's 'home cinema' and saw a football match in HD on a 60'' Plasma!! Wow, the picture was incredible and I can't wait to get back there to put on one of my own made DVD's (SD of course) and compare that to one of my mini DV tapes of the same film. The tape will beat the DVD for sure.

On the aired subject of recording DVD's I am sure that the 'desk top' machines wil not give you a guaranteed reliable disc for other players, at least that's been my own experience. I think that for best quality and reliability DVD's should be properly encoded from a time line and burnt through a computer. Maybe making a copy of a properly encoded DVD would be alright but I'm not so sure about making an original.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Here are just a few observations I have made at home this week, concering Viewing pictures from a disc.

I have a Sony DVD player and a Samsung DVD Recorder both under the TV. We had some wedding photo`s put onto disc at Boots, done in Kodak Format. The Sony would not play it. The Samsung, no problem.

The next observation was a `standard disc` with JPEGS on done in a high reselution like 3,000 by something. Again the Sony couldn`t be bothered to let me view the disc. The Samsung tried but it only showed us the top quarter of the picture. I exspect it could not handle the reselution.

I recon if the reselution wes lower the we would have seen the pictures on the Samsung.

As we all know, the dearer `Better` brands on DVD player will not show alot of stuff. The cheap `CRAP` brand almost play anything chuched at them. Do these players know that they arn`t living by the rules in the real world! Normally a dearer product will do more! CRAZY isn`t it.

My wedding DVD that I edited onto DVD+R DL (Duel-Layer) worked ok for a few times. Now the disc get`s a bit stuck when changeing layers! What do I do? (I`m not reducing the bitrate! Do I keep it on Duel-Layers? or Do I put it into two parts?
Ian Gardner
Film Maker