UNICA 2007 - in the Tatra Mountains - place available

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

UNICA 2007 - in the Tatra Mountains - place available

Post by Dave Watterson »

Many of you will know that this year's UNICA Festival - the festival where nations compete rather than individuals - is coming up from 1-9th September. It takes places in the lower Tatras area of Slovakia in a town called Liptovsky-Mikulas.

Many Britons are going, most of them arriving a few days early to see some more of Slovakia.

Sadly one person who planned to go has had a hip-replacement and will not be fit enough in time. This means that there is a ready-made package available ...

Leaving Manchester at 1320 Friday 31st August
arriving Bratislava 1650
taxi to Hotel TATRA, Bratislava (B&B Single Room.)
Next morning 10.10 train to Liptovsky Mikulas arriving 1433.
Eight nights B&B Single Room at PALAZZO Hotel (one of the nearest to Unica venue.)
UNICA CONFERENCE CARD. (Ticket for the week's films, outings and two gala dinners.)
Sunday 9th September depart Liptovsky-Mikulas on 10.26 train to Bratislava for 3 more nights B&B Single Room at Hotel TATRA. Wednesday 12th September taxi at 1430 to Bratislava airport for 1650 flight to Manchester, arriving 1830 pm.

The package including Conference Card is worth £850 but offers are welcome.

If this is of interest to you, please email me privately using the "email" button at the foot of this message.

Dave
Dave Watterson

You missed a British success.

Post by Dave Watterson »

Too late ! You've missed it.

In fact that place WAS taken up by a keen film maker who enjoyed his first visit to UNICA ... as did several others trying out "the festival where nations compete" for the first time.

Jan and I got home Monday 11.30pm and started on the 419 emails ... so I have not yet had time to read all the postings written in the last ten days. It is now midnight 40.

BUT I want to let you know the good news:

Mark Jackson won a UNICA Silver Medal for his movie "Stripped".
Terry and Debbie Mendoza won a UNICA Bronze Medal for their movie "Side by Side" ... and the film also received the prestigious Prix Fellini for best film on an important humanitarian issue. The judges specially mentioned the fact that the film does not just pose questions as many do ... it showed answers.

And Mike Shaw - one of our regulars on the forum - came second in the World Minute Movie Cup with "The Remote" - being beaten in the last round by the movie "The Triangle" made by the Slovakian host of the festival! (With an audience vote you might say that one had a home advantage.)

Congratulations to all.

Dave (sleepy) Watterson

PS If you are one of the genuine applicants for membership of this forum among the 278 waiting for my attention - apologies. I will try to deal with the list tomorrow ... or rather later today after I have slept.