IAC Copyright Clearance Scheme

IAC General Discussions
Graeme Webb

IAC Copyright Clearance Scheme

Post by Graeme Webb »

Hi All,

Does anyone have have any information on how the IAC Copyright Clearance Scheme applies to music on films being delivered from websites. As there is nothing stated in the rules then I am assuming that this is not allowed under the scheme.

Cheers Graeme

http://www.amberwoodmedia.co.uk/borderline/
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am told that the IAC scheme does NOT include internet use of music.

Some - but not all - of the "royalty free" music publishers do allow the use of their music on the web. Check the licence terms on their websites.

Haven't we all become very lazy about music? If we wanted a shot of a castle, we would go on location and take one. Very few of us would buy stock-shots of a castle.

By the same token when we want music why not make it ourselves, or more realistically approach musicians and ask for their help?

Dave
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

Thanks Dave,

I thought as much, yes we have a mix Indie band stuff and Ronnie Gee mixes (me !!). all of our downloadable videos have music created by us or our mates who write and perform.
Music making is not for everyone some degree of competence is required and audience expectations are high (mostly).

Here is a good place to start looking for unsigned bands who may be willing to let you use their stuff on film.

http://www.unsigned.com/

Thnks G
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I like the idea of using local musicians but up here they are so paranoid or so egotistical it's just not worth it for us. Additionally they can be very interested at the start but once you need things underway they just can't find the time. When it comes to getting help on a picture our local population leaves us negative which is quite sad because although it does exist all over, the further south into higher density population, the more folk are less paranoid and genuinely willing. Apathy, Apathy, they've all got it, apathy! :cry:
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Dave Watterson wrote:when we want music why not make it ourselves, or more realistically approach musicians and ask for their help?
I can't make my own music, (you can ask the wife- though she'd rather have my guitar than my singing) and don't really have the time or inclination to do so. I'm quite happy to make good use of my IAC licence, and regard that as a very important reason to recommend people join up.

I could look for musicians - and I have infact used a guy's music that he made me for a motorcycle doc. He did a good job now I remember.