Flooding

IAC General Discussions
stingman

Flooding

Post by stingman »

I just wondered if anyone was going to make a film about the flooding? It seems a chance in a lifetime to make a documentary about it. With so much material (film shots and subjects) about. There would be soo many subject angles as well like how the elderly are coping? or familys etc. Has the sales of wellingtons increased?

Down here the sea level would have to increase by about 150feet, so we`ve been ok.

Any one want to buy a boat :twisted: :shock:
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Last October after a long dry summer we got a flood that rose 10ft in 3hours and took out a well used footbridge over Thurso River. Some council official stalled the matter to the extent that we still don't have a replacement.
There was a rumour that someone filmed the bridge giving way. If I had known the carpet manny wasn't going to deliver I would have stayed at the river all day. I saw it at 1.30pm and it hadn't burst it's banks, by 5pm the bridge was gone. I got some good stuuf but would love to get the collapse of the bridge. Anyways, have a look on http:thursopicturehouse.piczo.com and scroll down, it's on the right hand column somewhere.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Great minds think alike ! I was wondering about that this afternoon, Ian.

I suspect those in the worst areas are too busy worrying about drinking water, heating and what is happening to their homes, carpets, furniture and so on. Picking up a camcorder would not be the first thing on my mind in those circumstances ... but maybe that just means I'm not a true movie maker.

It is all happening just 30 miles north of me, here in Bath. I was talking to Lee Prescott about the Cotswold Festival results and he told me that his road was flooded ... water got into 17 homes and it stopped rising not far short of his house. His wife had been in queues for hours to get bottled water because their taps were being shut off. A huge Tesco and Sainsburys were both in hollows and were shut due to flooding, so everyone was battling their way to smaller local stores.

Dave (the thankfully dry) W
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I'm sure one way or another film makers are documenting the goings on but will anyone make a movie about remains. As such we film whatever happens and let it sit for at least 5 years then dust it off for an archive feature. People are more relaxed to see things after the distance of time.
stingman

Post by stingman »

But producing a film, when the event is still in peoples minds is also good. It would do well in the competitions.
It could be like a documentry like one persons view done in the style of handheld, or it could be a more quality affair. It could also be done on the devation caused by all that amount of water or why it happens and causes so much problems. For example.....
Why oh why oh why do we have houses built on old floodplains of rivers!!!!!? Idiots or what. Why buy a house on a floodplane. You`ve only got to look at an aerial picture to see if it`s on one. It`s like the Yanks building houses out of wood (MAD :lol: :lol: :shock: in tornado areas. We live in an area that has quite a few (but not as strong, and we build our houses out of bricks!
Just a few thoughts.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

I didn't know that the IoW has F4 and F5 tornadoes which will lift a car and destroy a brick building.

Ned C
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Hey if it's twisters you want head for Caithness and leg it up to Loch More and Dalnawillan. There's a runway of twister activitey there especially if there are any thunderstorms or heavy showers. Dunnet Beach also throws up the occasional whirly. I saw one back in May this year. Sadly my camera battery had gone flet 5 minutes before. :shock:
stingman

Post by stingman »

ned c wrote:I didn't know that the IoW has F4 and F5 tornadoes which will lift a car and destroy a brick building.

Ned C
.... and when we have hailstones they are the size of buses 8)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Our French friend, Jean-Claude Lejosne, who is known as "Mr. Unica" because he does all the formal translation for the organisation, was on the phone today. His home town of Metz is twinned with Gloucester and they have been following the flooding news avidly.

He says they find it amazing and delightful that we keep a very British sense of humour about it all with comments about "convenient for fishing", "saves a seaside holiday", "that carpet needed a wash" and so on.

So if anyone is making a flood film ... it may be worth seeking out foreign views like that!

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Ian, I assume your buses are rather small?

Ned C
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

We haven't had a flooding problem up here in North West Durham - Consett is about 600 feet above sea level, and it's at the top a big hill.

But if we did, my film would be called "Let's go Sailing" And with my music copyright licence, I'm quite pulled to that Rod Stewart number... what's it called?
stingman

Post by stingman »

ned c wrote:Ian, I assume your buses are rather small?

Ned C
No. There the normal British size.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I think the Rod Stewart song would be "Maggie", after the local fishing boat! :D
I think the British sense of humour is ace, We are sinical, dry and never blink in the face of adversity. We've had some much happen in all conrners of our four kingdoms that there is nothing left to surprise or astonish us. What a great view of the world we have. It is a stupid place full stupid people doing incredably dumb things for reasons of the greatest folly. I love planet earth and all it's... humans! A source of inspiration to all us film makers.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I live in a small community in a high valley (5,000 feet) with a 10,500 foot mountain range to the east of us (about 10 miles away) and a hill up to about 7,000 feet to the West. This is the pinion/juniper zone and our problem is the summer fires usually started by "dry" lightning. We have had one fire in the valley this year, on the West side which burnt out about 3,000 acres, this is a small fire! The largest in the State this year burnt out 500 square miles. With the help of the State fire department I made a short film on preparing for fires here in the valley, all the homes in the valley received a copy. This has proven popular and helpful. Obviously this only works in a small community but perhaps an idea for local "be prepared " films?

ned c
stingman

Post by stingman »

FILM THURSO wrote: I think the British sense of humour is ace, We are sinical, dry and never blink in the face of adversity. We've had some much happen in all conrners of our four kingdoms that there is nothing left to surprise or astonish us. What a great view of the world we have. It is a stupid place full stupid people doing incredably dumb things for reasons of the greatest folly. I love planet earth and all it's... humans! A source of inspiration to all us film makers.
Did you take you Poets pill this morning! What great words. It`s just sums us up nicely....................
Ian Gardner
Film Maker