PUBLICITY

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

Re: PUBLICITY

Post by Dave Watterson »

Publicise in your local newspapers - print and online editions.

The trick for good coverage is to give them something they want to use. Normally that is a human-interest story. Take a look at this superb plug for an event ... no doubt getting the right to use the video in their online edition encouraged the paper to give free publicity ...

http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com ... ilm-makin/

Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

There is no easy answer to this problem and it seems to afflict all kinds of group/hobby/club activities, not just amateur movie making. I recently read in the press that even some golf clubs are finding it hard to attract new people. I must say though that there seems to be a positive increase in interest in camera clubs, probably because of the growth of digital photography. I do think that a welcoming, friendly and "buzzing" atmosphere makes a big difference and I would heartily endorse Billy's remarks about Newcastle ACA. I visited the club last night (6 Jan) to give them a show and was very impressed indeed with the enthusiasm and friendliness of all the members and the large number of people who were there. I've seen the same sort of enthusiasm at Dundee Camcorder Club and Perth Camcorder Club both of which are very active in the local community giving shows, making films and attracting new members. These are just three personal examples - there must be many more. With a positive attitude and some hard work it can be done and there is a future for clubs.
Brian Saberton
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I was a fellow club member of Peter's and in fact the cameraman for the film he mentions he directed. A very good director he was too and a good film maker. I was puzzled Peter when you suddenly chucked it all in to return to your first love music if I remember correctly. It is true that our club has changed but only really as far as membership numbers go and I believe they are now on the increase. I personally find time very short as I get older and actually making films seems to take up so much time that I rarely get to a club evening but I'd certainly like to.

Peter, go and make a film and we'll get together and talk!