Practical Digital Video- opinions?

IAC General Discussions
billyfromConsett

Practical Digital Video- opinions?

Post by billyfromConsett »

Hello people. 1st time poster on our new-look forum. I'm all nervous... :roll:

I noticed the above magazine at a local magazine boutique- WHSmith actually.

It looks useful to us film-makers, offering some tips on camera-technique etc. The camcorder magazines seem to have come and gone, so this seems all that's left, except our own mag that is.

Anybody else get it?
stingman

Re: Practical Digital Video- opinions?

Post by stingman »

billyfromConsett wrote:Hello people. 1st time poster on our new-look forum. I'm all nervous... :roll:

I noticed the above magazine at a local magazine boutique- WHSmith actually.

It looks useful to us film-makers, offering some tips on camera-technique etc. The camcorder magazines seem to have come and gone, so this seems all that's left, except our own mag that is.

Anybody else get it?
I like them as they sometimes give you a few ideas on filming techniques and editing. But they are VERY dear indeed. The `Free Dvd`, is normally of no use. OK if your after a certain piece of software, if not then just an excuse to add £3.00 to the price. I don`t buy them anymore as i`m saving my money. But I did buy a dvd last week :shock: :roll: :o ! It was The War of the Worlds London Stage Musical Live. Fantastic!!!! If you want to learn how to film a live event, watch this for camera angles and a good entertainment. Close the curtains, take the phone off the hook. Give the wife a fiver to go out and buy a drink. Wack up the volume on the Dolby Digital and watch and listen. Amazing.
Save your money this month on buying the mag and buy this instead!
See yer............
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Well, it's probably the first time I've seen it, and for the filming tips alone I'm quite impressed. I put the free disk into my laptop to what its got on it - in case it really is next to worthless.
But not so. There are a number of moving animated backgrounds that I'll chuck straight onto my video storage disk. There's also a bunch of audio/music files (though I've not listened to them yet), and a showreel of the HD movie it talks about in the mag.

The subscription costs about 50% of the store cost, so it's £3 a month. I'll buy a 6 month subscription and do a fuller evaluation...
stingman

Post by stingman »

The last one I got had a disc on the front that had footage from an HD Camera. Nice you might think but the footage wasn`t in HD! Yes, they have backgrounds, music and lower thirds so they may be of use to some people. It`s just 6 to 7 pounds is a bit steep for me. I`m living to the limit at the moment.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker