IAC General Discussions
stingman

Post by stingman »

I don`t this the licence would cover it. Dave will let us know!!!

This is a good idea also. I`m mainly the only one in the club who uses music from cd. The other members use the copyrightfree music. Sometimes they use the same bit of music. Even with copy right free music, the so called licence it comes with may also not cover this sort of thing.
I myself would not be bothered. If I did a film, I would see it as a compliment if someone used it! As most of us would.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I'd be surprised if there's an issue, as I do have the music licences, and it's not we're just putting programmes straight off the telly on youtube (though that doesn't seem to stop anybody).

It's debatable though. I'll ask a question or two.
billyfromConsett

I had wondered about running a film competition to local schools and colleges - with maybe a £100 prize. Many if not all secondary schools have media studies. The media could be help publicise this and we might even get on the news!

The costs would be minimal, and if we had a public showing, with raffle tickets, it would probably make a little profit.

Outreach into community people!
billyfromConsett

I've just heard that our copyright licence DOESN'T ALLOW for posting on youtube or myspace.

So the licence has less value than I thought.

It's an upside down world - everybody with no copyright licences post whatever they like on the net, and we pay to use music and are told we need to get individual permission for any track used!
stingman

Post by stingman »

It`s a mental world. You can kick someone in the head or stab them, you get an 18 month suspended sentence. You use someones music without a licence or permission and could get a VERY, VERY big fine and/or go to Prison!

Looney or what :x :x CRAZY MENTAL WORLD.Just dont make a film about a crappy little bear and call it Mocrapid! Your go to jail :lol: :lol: :roll: !
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Guys

Sorry I have been away or I'd have answered this sooner.

The IAC copyright licence deals are only for normal amateur (sorry!) film use in homes, clubs and occasional festivals. If you want to use "production music" - the special CDs you can buy only through IAC or use discs bought in the normal commercial outlets you have to chase the rights owners for permissions for web and wider public use ... as you do if you start to sell copies of your video about the local church etc.

BUT so many people use "royalty free" music these days that the problem may not be so great as you think. Many - not all - those companies allow web use. Check the licences on the company websites in each case.

OR

Make your own music yourself or get friends to do it.

McCheers

Dave
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

A rather appropriate saying comes to mind here

we should use it to push forward this age difference thingy...

"The wisdom of the old with the passion of the young"
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Paul Ekert

Post by Paul Ekert »

This still about age? If so - me=44 - hard to believe I know.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Paul Ekert wrote:This still about age? If so - me=44 - hard to believe I know.
Missed the discussion. Am working on films. Saw that one of my old messages appeared on this thread. I am 24. Helped Samuel. He's youngest member. He's 23.

I wonder why young people like Samuel and a Peter like horror films. I have a romantic soul. I like romantic films, but I don't want to make any. Otherwise people would say : "That filmmaker must be old. He's old-fashioned !" I love a film like "I Just Knew" made by Phil Martin. So, dear friends, don't make films like "I Just Knew" and do not show them to attract young people. Am I wrong ?
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am pretty sure you are not 24 Willy !

Dave (who can mistype too! )
ned c

Post by ned c »

I'm sure that is how old Willy feels and his films suggest that he operates at that energy level.

Merry Christmass and a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful New Year to all who read the forum.

From Ned C, there is a 26 year old looking out from this wreckage.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Willy wrote: Missed the discussion. Am working on films. Saw that one of my old messages appeared on this thread. I am 24. Helped Samuel. He's youngest member. He's 23.
I like Action and Sci-Fi films but my all time favorite is `Goodbye, Mr Chips`. If I want a cry, THAT`S the film to do it. It`s so sad!
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Ray Williamson

I am 62 (where do the decades go)?

Post by Ray Williamson »

The problem with film graduates and other media studies types is that they all hope to be professionals.
It`s only when they get to 60 plus that it dawns on them that the call from the producer with a 10 million-pound budget is never going to come, and that they are only amateurs after all!
The IAC could do more to link in to the efforts of, and events run by, the Film Council and its regional branches.
After all, they have taxpayers` money to spend -- and you are all taxpayers!
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.
fraught

Re: Age

Post by fraught »

Stu H wrote:
Fraught wrote:I remember when the club i belonged to got a 60'ish year old guy to run the show (ex-BBC), the first thing he asked us to do was make a short documentary on how to make a cup of tea! Now i know people need to learn the basics... but isn't our hobby all about having fun too!?
Did you consider that one of the reasons for the exercise might have been to try to force people to use their imaginations? It can be incredibly useful to look at a mundane situation and try to come up with ways to present that are compelling and fresh. And everyone likes a fresh cup of tea.

Perhaps, coming from a BBC background, he was trying to get you all to make films that were able to communicate clearly with their audience.

Are goals like these really beneath any of us?
Sorry Stu... just got round to replying to this...
I guess in retrospect, maybe he was trying to sort of discipline us in some way, but he could have chosen something a little more interesting! LOL...
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

There are plenty of excellent suggestions on this thread.
However, I think you have got to do one thing before you do anything else, and that is:
DROP THE 'A'-WORD!!
As long as "Amateur" is in the title (or anywhere near), you are wasting your time!
The tasty worm on the hook is that you could turn professional --- one day!

Anyway, it is not accurate -- look at most festival rules and it is clear that the film is the bit that is non-commercial, not the cinematographer.
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.