Film & Video Maker Magazine

IAC General Discussions
Martin Evans

Film & Video Maker Magazine

Post by Martin Evans »

Re: FVM magazine. I will be taking over as editor for the next but one issue – i.e the issue dated October 2022.

I’m excited to do my bit for the IAC and to be the best editor I can be to take the magazine forward.

I can’t do this all by myself however and will be extremely grateful if all the regular contributors would stay in touch and keep up their output.

I’d also like to hear from any new contributors. Film making and AV production is a broad remit and there must be hundreds of stones left untouched. I’ll be looking for articles on absolutely anything to do with film and AV production. 500 to 2,000 words or longer if necessary. Photos too. Lots of them – the best you’ve got.

What films are you making? What is your club or group up to right now? Do you have some knowledge to impart? Have you just made a great film and want to tell us how you made it? Have you found the meaning of life? Maybe you know what the hell Davinci Resolve Fusion is all about.

If you’ve got an idea or something to say but don’t fancy writing it yourself. Still get in touch, we can arrange an interview and I’ll write it up for our readers.

Not just articles though. Ideas. What do you want to see in the mag? What’s missing, what can we do better?

And we ALWAYS need good photos for the magazine cover. Ideally connected to something inside. This is a society of people with cameras so get competitive – get your photo on the cover.

Whilst you can still write to me at the old email address, going forward I’d like to use editorFVM@arenig.co.uk Please do get in touch, I can’t wait to hear from you.

Thanks in anticipation
Martin
TimStannard

Re: Film & Video Maker Magazine

Post by TimStannard »

Great stuff, Martin. I wish you every success in what is probably a very tough task.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Let's not forget to thank Mike Whyman, who has been holding the fort as editor for far longer than he ever expected.

Now - whose arm can we twist for a set of articles?
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

A starter for ten. Something I'm interested in... What's everybody's experience of entering film festivals? You pays your money and never hear from them again except maybe a "not selected" on the last minute of notification date on Film Freeway. Are we wasting our money? Are some of them less than honest? I suspect this is so. People need to know. What are your thoughts? Post them here or better still write to me at editorFVM@arenig.co.uk

THanks

Martin
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

Oh and another. What's your experiences of working with talent websites: "Star Now" for instance. How do you find the talent for your films? If you're like me then it's just me - but more sociable filmmakers might use club members or otherwise hire them in (for peanuts) from a talent agency. Whatever, I think this is something else FVM readers might like to know about. editorFVM@arenig.co.uk Thank you.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Welcome Martin; thanks Mike for keeping the magazine alive and a very enjoyable read, great job.

Best wishes to both of you.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

May I add my words of welcome and congratulations Martin. The printed magazine is a priceless asset of the IAC and I'm sure that you will guard it jealously.
Willy

Post by Willy »

The day before yesterday I had a chat with Dave about all kinds of everything. I was surprised to hear that you will take over Mike's job, Martin. I wish you all success, but I would also like to take the opportunity to congratulate Mike Whyman. It is/ was very pleasant to work for him. I am not one of his regular contributors, but I write/wrote articles for the Magazine from time to time. About my Weald-film for instance. The text appeared in different parts in 7 issues. Not everybody seemed to appreciate it. You know what I mean... Recently I wrote about my love for the Highlands. I also wrote interviews with clubmates who had made movies for BIAFF. One of them is Douglas Boswell who is now called the Belgian Steven Spielberg.

However, after some time it is difficult to find ideas for new articles. That's why I told Mike that I would like to stop writing articles. But yes, I have already told you many times that I was making my last film and now anno 2022, I have started to make my 21st last movie. I will try to continue to contribute to FVM, Martin, but do not expect articles that are longer than 2,000 words and not for every issue. But I will do my utmost.

I am sure that the IAC cannot miss FVM, Martin, and that's why I am very pleased that you are going to take over Mike's job. Each time when I show my clubmates an issue of FVM they are surprised about the interesting articles written by Tom Hardwick for instance and about the other stories written by regular contributors.
Willy Van der Linden
Martin Evans

Post by Martin Evans »

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. Rest assured I will endeavour to do my very best for FVM. But, as I said, I can't write it all myself. My inbox editorFVM@arenig.co.uk is wide open.

Cheers
Martin
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Following on from your question about using actors from "Star Now" and other such agencies, you may discover a piece about Surrey Border Movie Makers' "BAFTA"s in your first issue. What you won't see is the ensuing discussion which is much more interesting - that is whether it is right that "hired in" (for free) professional actors should legitimately receive "best actor" awards.
There are apparently to be several responses to the question in our next issue of "Border Post", but so as not to bore/wash our dirty linen in public, most of the responses have been consigned to a separate "members only" supplement. I can probably persuade the powers that be to let you have a copy of said supplement, if you fancy widening the discussion or exploring it further.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it