Another You Tube question!

Post a film and invite friendly comment from fellow enthusiasts. (This is a moderated forum.) See notes under "Forum" on the IAC website for details of how to use it.
Alwyn Anne

Another You Tube question!

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Hi,

Another You Tube question. I have been trying to upload a disc from one of club members onto You Tube so I can put it onto our website but it won't upload. On looking at the disc, it says it is a UDF 2.01 file (whatever that is). Is that the proper file name? If it is, You Tube do not support it! The member edited it on a Casablanca Avio machine, is that the reason?

Thanks you :?
Peter B

Re: Another You Tube question!

Post by Peter B »

It sounds to me that you're trying to upload a video that's been created and written to disk as a DVD that will play on a DVD player. The likes of YouTube can't play videos like that. I think you'll need to go back to your member and get them to provide a video file in a format that can be played in programs like Windows Media Player or VLC.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I always find it difficult to get detailed information about Cassie systems. If there is anyone familiar with it, please help us here.

In general you can upload to YouTube the video files on a DVD which plays in set-top boxes.

See if you can use Windows Explorer or Apple Finder to open the "UDF" file and look for folders within it - and folders within those.

Most DVD authoring tools output a series of folders, one of which is called "video_ts". Within that folder are various files with strange names. Those ending .VOB are the ones with the video on them. Look at the file sizes ... video files are huge. A very small VOB file may be a menu. Try clicking on each VOB file and playing it.

If the whole film (without menus etc) is in one VOB you can upload that to YouTube.

The catch is that some systems may split the film up into several VOB files. I do not think you can upload them all and then edit them together in YouTube ... though I am happy to be proved wrong about that.

Otherwise consider playing the disc in a stand-alone (set-top) DVD player and feeding its output into your editing system to make a "new" film which you can export in a more familiar file type for uploading.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: Otherwise consider playing the disc in a stand-alone (set-top) DVD player and feeding its output into your editing system to make a "new" film which you can export in a more familiar file type for uploading.
Or download a free trial of Sony Vegas (or Vegas Movie Studio), put the DVD into your PC's DVD drive, open Vegas and go "File" | "Import DVD Camcorder Disc". Drag it onto the timeline and "File" | "Render As ..."
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Thank you all, will look into your suggestions.

8)
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

UDF is universal disc format, it is a set of standards that a disc conforms to.

The video file on a DVD has a VOB extension.

In this case if there is just one VOB file copy that file to your hard drive and in windows explorer set explorer to show file extension.

Rename the VOB extension to MPG, ignore the error message and then try uploading the MPG file
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks, Col.

If you want to edit the film then changing the file extension to mpg is often useful.

If you just want to upload to YouTube you can send it as a VOB file.