You Tube

Post a film and invite friendly comment from fellow enthusiasts. (This is a moderated forum.) See notes under "Forum" on the IAC website for details of how to use it.
Alwyn Anne

You Tube

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Hi, I have a short film on You Tube and a advert has attached itself at the end of my film, is there anyway to get it off? If not, would uninstalling it and reinstalling work? I want to put the film on our club's website but minus the advert!

:?
Dave Watterson

Re: You Tube

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Anne,
Probably you can stop those adverts. This is how I did it a few minutes ago ... but YouTube seems to change its interface a lot, so your account may be a shade different. The general procedure should be similar:

1) Go to your YouTube account. Click the arrow beside your name and from the menu which drops down choose "Video Manager".
2) You will see a list of all the videos you have uploaded. But above that list near the top of the screen in a black and gray toolbar with "Settings" at the right edge. Click that.
3) This opens a page showing settings for all the stuff in your YouTube account. There is an item about Advertisements ... click the button beside "Do not allow advertisements to be displayed alongside my videos "
4) Scroll up to the top of the page and on the right is a "Save" button. Click it.

That should stop the problem.

I am using weasel words like "probably" and "should" because there is another reason adverts might be put on your video... occasionally if you have used commercial music the music owners will let you get away with that, but have an advert for their products added. I don't think you can stop that.

Try it and let us know how you get on.

Dave
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Thanks Dave, will try that. :|
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Anne ! have you tried loading onto Vimeo too,
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
FredD

Post by FredD »

Ann,
John is right. Vimeo is a far more 'mature' site for amateur/independant film postings.
Vimeo is the way to go, NOT YouTube !! 8)
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Can I draw your attention to two things?

1) Many people find Vimeo videos jerky and sticky. They get their high quality by being large files which ordinary broadband cannot always cope with.

2) YouTube has a deal with most British music companies, which helps reduce copyright problems.

Putting films on both hosts is the best of both worlds.

Dave
FredD

Post by FredD »

Yes Dave, good points ! :)

Putting up your content on BOTH sites sounds a good strategy for maximum number of views, and I guess for a lot of people, that is their reason for using these sites.

Fred D
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

good point Dave..i always tell people who look at video's on Vimeo to press play then pause then let the loading bar reach the end before pressing play again... this normally results in a good quality film playback

It may get better when we get fibre optic broadband ..... :lol: I live in hope
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Thank you all for your advice. I did as you suggested Dave and ticked the box for "No Adverts" and so far a new film I put on has no advert attached to it. I cannot get rid of the advert already on my current film although I did take it off You Tube then put it back on, didn't make any difference. Just have to live with it!

I will try Vimeo.

:wink:
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Just as another perspective, is it so bad that they put an unobtrusive advert next to your video?

If you look at what you get in return for your advert, it's pretty generous! You get fantastic search engine optimisation on your video, you get billions of potential viewers, and a really simple upload, publish and viewing system.

I wonder how much the comparative cost would be to have an advert-free video on your own website?

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but it is notable how the assumption is that everything on the internet should be free! In fact, most significant things are (kind of) free, but that's because they're paid for by ADVERTS!

Would you like to pay an additional £150 to ITV, and £150 to Channel4, and £25 to Channel5 to save them having to carry adverts too? :-)

I had a customer angry that his copy of Office Starter Edition (Word and Excel for free instead of £90) had a small advert at the bottom right corner. I simply asked how he'd like to pay the £90 to remove it, or would he like me to uninstall it? Of course, he shut up about it then. :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Chrisbitz wrote:it is notable how the assumption is that everything on the internet should be free! In fact, most significant things are (kind of) free, but that's because they're paid for by ADVERTS!
Couldn't agree more, Chris. What surprises me is that whilst one might expect this attitude from the younger generation, who have grown up with the ability to make perfect copies of digital data (software, music, videos), there is a large part of the older generation sho share that attitude. In fact I know more "more mature" people who think nothing of pirating software "because it's too expensive" than younger people.

I do worry about what will happen when we all become so blind to the adverts (I never notice them now) that the advertisers realise the ads are having no effect and then cease to advertise. This is, I suppose, where the targeted ads like you described in another thread come into play.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

You have a point folks, thank you.
:)