Karel Reisz.

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
AN

Karel Reisz.

Post by AN »

You may have just heard of the death of the film maker/editor, Karel Reisz. (maker of, "Saturday night and Sunday morning" etc) He wrote a book with Gavin Miller, entitled, "The Technique of Film Editing."

Dave, in reply to your letter about what is wrong with us, maybe we should all read more of such books.
Editing is not about NLE as the IAC forums would lead one to conclude at times. Maybe a New Years resolution to read at least one book a year on film techniques (NOT bloody technical!) would help?

I have not read it myself but if you would like a copy in your Xmas stocking, direct your Santa to Amazon books, where it is priced at 31.66. http://www.amazon.co.uk

Albert......getting bookish.
Michael Slowe

Re: Karel Reisz.

Post by Michael Slowe »

Maybe we should.

Whilst Albert is on the subject of books I would like to mention Jack Cardiff's "Magic Hour" which apart from having some great film anecdotes gives a great insight into one of the best ever film photographers. I am just off to Malta for a few days for the Golden Knight Film Festival where I have a couple of films being shown. Is anyone other than about four people reading this forum???
Ned Cordery

Re: Karel Reisz.

Post by Ned Cordery »

Karel Reisz also directed the French Lieutenants Woman, the best stab at a John Fowles book so far.

I have just purchased "Non-Linear Editing" subtitled Storytelling, aesthetics and craft by Bryce Buttton, on a recommendation. A very good book, some of the chapters on how to get into the industry are for someone else but the rest is excellent!.

Yes, Michael, we are very few on this forum and it was created as an open alternative to the IAC member forums, wish we had more correspondents.

I believe that there are possibly productions made by amateurs suitable for TV transmission I can remember from the old days of film 10 Best some outstanding productions. One of the problems is that of releases and copyright clearances for transmission.

Ned Cordery
AN

Re: Books ....

Post by AN »

I have found many many books sold by Amazon for example on the techniques of film making....just go top their site and enter "editing film"/"film techniques" and such like to get big lists.

BUT, BUT, the trouble is there are only small reviews of some of the books. I am very, very hesitant in recommending books having not read myself, as they are priced from 12-90 quid each!!

BUT I have just ordered the Karel Reisz book on editing and then having read it will let you know if it's worth the 30 odd quid!

Albert
Ned Cordery

Post by Ned Cordery »

Some of my favourites:

Final Cut Pro 3 by Lisa Brenneis - we FCP users are lucky to have Ms Brennheis making everything clear for those of us who find the Apple references hard going.

Before you Shoot by Helen Garvy a guide to low budget film and video production. organisation, etc. Very thorough and detailed.

Anatomy of a screenplay by Dan Decker - I did one of his courses and this is a hard look at how feature scripts are constructed but equally useful for short story films with characters. He has a web site.

Directing for Film & Television by Christopher Lukas (1980s) simple, straightforward from script review to post production. Technology dated but mostly about human methods.

David Lean by Kevin Brownlow, one of my favorite directors by one of my favorite film historians. Fascinating.

This forum is unusual in that we have been able to have a number of discussions on non-technical subjects without it deteriorating into a confrontation. Most forums are purely technical even when they try to deal with aesthetics etc. See the Indie/Documentary section of the COW.

We have an unmeasured number of satellite channels of which two are interesting Sundance Channel and the Independent Film Channel - even so thay are showing the same films over and over and some of the shorts are awful, many IAC entries would beat them into the dust. I have asked questions about both channels on a number of forums, written to them and never received an answer. I suspect they have transmission carts and no human beings are involved! The future of your TV.

Ned Cordery
malcolm whiteley

Post by malcolm whiteley »

Let me know when you are having a book sale Albert, will be stood in line with my candle and Ovaltine.
Mal. (a book at bedtime)