The Sister Wives - discuss

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
ned c

The Sister Wives - discuss

Post by ned c »

https://vimeo.com/37972095

OK at the risk of being a pain another one. This film was made under the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) short film agreement as professional actors were involved who were paid so not eligible for BIAFF. Screened in a few other Festivals. Some background; although illegal, polygamy is still practiced in some areas of Utah and Idaho. The multiple wives are called Sister Wives.

ned c
Jameela M Boardman

Re: The Sister Wives

Post by Jameela M Boardman »

I watched it and found it extremely powerful. It touched me personally, as you might expect. It illustrates how a re-enactment is more powerful than someone just speaking their story.

One touch of reality that really drew me in, was where they were reluctant to speak without a condition being met, first one of the girls would not speak without the other being present, then at the end, the man said leave this out of the video before he continued. This is exactly how it is, there is always more that can be said privately than is said publicly.

Technically, the camera resolution was low and I wish they were wearing lavalier mics, but I felt the power and need for the message excused those issues.

Well done.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

That was a good piece. My initial concerns about the not so great quality footage/lighting in the motel room quickly dissipated as I found myself being drawn into the story through the mainly excellent writing and acting. Throughout, I was changing my expectations as to where the story was going. Great stuff!

It left me with some plot points unanswered. In particular I'm not sure what happened in the basement - I guess Russell had rescued them, but they didn't seem to be expecting him at the motel room. They also didn't seem at all relieved when the knock on the door turned out to be Russell. I'm not sure this matterd much, though.

As has been mentioned, sound could be better and colour balance in the motel room needs attention. The meeting at the camper van looked rather as if it was bloked for a stage presentation than a genuine meeting. Lisa's unsuredness about where the girls should to begin when she starts the interview didn't really ring true for someone who is a campaigner/interviewer. Whilst these issues didn't detract, sorting them out would make the film stronger.

I've already mentioned the superb acting (I particularly liked the mother, though it seems unfair to single out any one of them) and the generally excellent and realistic dialogue. Whilst not unique, the interview with flashbacks approach works very effectively here. Some of the camerawork/editng is very good - particulary how the dialogue is cut to focus as much if not more on reactions than on the speaker.

i like the way the film challenges our expectations of both the Mormon faith and polygamy, but isn't at all moralising or preachy. "Thought provoking" might be the best way to sum it up.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks to both of you for your comments. First a quality explanation; the version on Vimeo is an .mp4 created from an .mpeg2 version ripped from a DVD. There are also three "looks" created for different segments of the film, the Motel interview warm to represent safety, events at the compound cool to represent risk and the events in the world outside; natural. These were achieved in-camera which was perhaps not a wise decision and would have been more finely adjusted in post.The sound was recorded with a high quality Audio-Tecnica mic on a boom.It was a pleasure working with a professional director and actors. I did write this up in an issue of F&VM.

Jameela; I have downloaded your script and one reading; needs more though and attention before commenting. Thanks

I am going to post somewhere asking where is everybody? I am finding this conversation both interesting and stimulating; the inclusion of scripts is a definite bonus.

Thanks

Ned
Cathy Poole

Post by Cathy Poole »

If anyone is stuck for something to do over the weekend,

please review this film, and let us all know what you think.

ABBERANT

https://youtu.be/1UjwyxF3ZB0

I would appreciate it.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Cathy Poole wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:20 am If anyone is stuck for something to do over the weekend,

please review this film, and let us all know what you think.

ABBERANT

https://youtu.be/1UjwyxF3ZB0

I would appreciate it.
Cathy, do you think you could post this in a new thread, please. "One film per thread" will ensure we are all talking about the same film.

To do this click on the the link to this forum towards the top of the page
("The IAC Website < IAC Forums Index < The IAC (to jin these...) < Film Comments - a moderated forum)

Then click on the "New Topic" button

Thanks
Tim
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

ned c wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 pm There are also three "looks" created for different segments of the film, the Motel interview warm to represent safety, events at the compound cool to represent risk and the events in the world outside; natural.
I did wonder if this was intentional, but concluded the Colour Correction was simply off in the interior shots - funily enough becuase it looked exactly as it was - done in camera!
As an aside, CC is something I struggle with. Getting one shot to look great (which all the online lessons concentrate on), I find fairly easy. It's getting the other shots to match - even when shot in the same conditions on the same camera is what's tricky. You get the balance and exposure absolutely perfect only to find in a later shot someone else comes into the frame with brighter highs or more saturated colours.
Add different locations and different cameras and I can easily spend more time trying to match shots than editing.
Tim