Filming on National Trust land

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Joe Parker

Filming on National Trust land

Post by Joe Parker »

Hallo, here's an appeal for advice from a newbie, hope someone can help.
My friends and I at Ripley Amateur Film-makers, as part of a project to improve our editing skills, decided to use some prevously shot video to make a documentary. It was to be based on a local landmark and the childhood myths and legends surrounding it.
We hope, eventually, to post it on the IAC, perhaps on Vimeo. Our video was shot on National Trust land sometime last year, no stately home, just a, not very ancient, standing stone on a hill in Derbyshire with a free carpark.
We would be very grateful for any advice regarding amateur film-makers shooting video on NT land, as their explanation of the rules governing this is hardly the clearest. (or maybe I'm just thick) Thanks, Joe Parker
Dave Watterson

Re: Filming on National Trust land

Post by Dave Watterson »

Between ourselves, Joe, I think there is some delicate footwork going on around this in the National Trust. Their long-standing view was that photography was not allowed inside properties for fear it might help thieves case the joint.

To my mind that did not hold water ever - and became impossible to police when mobile phones started to include good cameras.

The official view has changed and now generally allows photography ... but at the discretion of the property manager. My private guess is that this allows some old-timers to continue to bar it, while allowing the majority of managers to permit it.

The more practical - and thoroughly understandable - reason why photography might be restricted is where it might cause a nuisance or even a hazard to other visitors. In a few places there may also be questions of copyright.

So generally there is no problem about taking pictures or video outdoors. That should cover you.

The Trust does insist such picture making is for your private use ... you cannot sell calendars showing NT houses without agreement and payment. I do not think anyone would interpret that rule as preventing the use of your videos in clubs, competitions etc. Or even on Vimeo.

Dave
Joe Parker

Post by Joe Parker »

Dear Dave, thank you for your prompt reply to our appeal for advice, we feel much more confident about filming in such places now, and much clearer about were we stand, it's easy to be dissuaded by all these rules and regs when you're just starting out, so thanks again from all at Ripley Amateur Film-makers.
Joe Parker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Happy to help the RAF !