Page 1 of 1


Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:01 pm
by polly
I have just aquired a new mike. I do mainly outside wildlife recording. Where can I get a zeppelin from?

Re: Zeppelins

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm
by Dave Watterson
Hi Polly and welcome,

"Zeppelin" was a new one on me, I usually call them a "blimp", "wind gag" or "dead dog on a stick". But I see from some googling that you are right. Mainly in the USA they are also known as zeppelins.

Some ideas for a DIY one are here:
The Keene company do some: ... e=wind+gag
The UK company most famous for them is Rycote

But give our forum regulars a few days and let's see what they come up with. Wildlife recording is a specialist art and there may be people with relevant experience who can help.


Re: Zeppelins

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 pm
by leif
You didn't give any details of your new mike.

In general I can recommend to visit Røde for mikes and accessories of good quality at reasonable prices.

In my opinion Rycote is excellent quality - and priced accordingly.

Re: Zeppelins

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 pm
by Pqtrick
My Mr Pro Soundman whom I have known for many a year tells me:

'it's a slang but common usage term for the type of windshield that fits over a rifle/shotgun mic, normally rigid but with optional furry cover'