A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm


Post by polly »

I have just aquired a new mike. I do mainly outside wildlife recording. Where can I get a zeppelin from?
User avatar
Dave Watterson
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Bath, England

Re: Zeppelins

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Polly and welcome,

"Zeppelin" was a new one on me, I usually call them a "blimp", "wind gag" or "dead dog on a stick". But I see from some googling that you are right. Mainly in the USA they are also known as zeppelins.

Some ideas for a DIY one are here: http://www.joelandkaren.com/mic-zeppelin/
The Keene company do some: http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/word ... e=wind+gag
The UK company most famous for them is Rycote http://www.rycote.com

But give our forum regulars a few days and let's see what they come up with. Wildlife recording is a specialist art and there may be people with relevant experience who can help.

User avatar
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zeppelins

Post by leif »

You didn't give any details of your new mike.

In general I can recommend to visit Røde for mikes and accessories of good quality at reasonable prices.

In my opinion Rycote is excellent quality - and priced accordingly.
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Zeppelins

Post by Pqtrick »

My Mr Pro Soundman whom I have known for many a year tells me:

'it's a slang but common usage term for the type of windshield that fits over a rifle/shotgun mic, normally rigid but with optional furry cover'


Post Reply