How can we make "different" films of the holidays?

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Dave Watterson

How can we make "different" films of the holidays?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Coming up to USA Thanksgiving, Scotland's St. Andrews Day, Christmas, Hannukah and Hogmanay (sorry we missed Diwali) ...

These all mean holidays and often with the family. Many of us will shoot some video, but not much more than moving snapshots. What can we do to make something more interesting and fun for non-family members to enjoy ... without ruining the holiday for everyone else?
TimStannard

Re: How can we make "different" films of the holidays?

Post by TimStannard »

Well, fed up with me sticking my camera under the noses of everyone pretending to be happy as they opened their pair of socks, last year one of my sisters came up with an idea which I expanded upon and we (all my extended family) came up with this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skpgyUqYjtg[/youtube]

Vocals recorded in five different sessions, mix made, then video filmed at several locations culminating in our traditional family get-together at my father's house on 27th Dec.

Cringe or enjoy (I do both)

BTW The idea here is to inspire people to look at things from a different angle, not to pimp my own film.

Rather than force the issue, we're not trying anything this year, though I do fancy in future years dong a "Victorian" type carol sing (many of us are were choristers)around a piano/rtree/open fire in costume and maybe a pantomime ("Oh no you won't", "Oh yes we will")
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Thoroughly enjoyed. No cringes at all. Excellent!!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is a great idea, Tim. I admire the way that you all actually sang rather than just miming to Slade ... and having the youngest girl give Noddy's shout of "It's Chrissssss-mass!" is brilliant. Everyone seemed to be having fun except for a couple of confused looks. Love the Shadows' dance moves.

I might be tempted to keep the sbow falling overlay for the next couple of shots.

What a great way to keepthe family involved and distracted while the dinner cooks!

Dave
PS I arranged to put the film itself on here rather than just the URL - pour encourager les autres.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks for your comments Mike and Dave. Glad you enjoyed.
Dave Watterson wrote:I admire the way that you all actually sang rather than just miming to Slade
Born out of necessity. My sister's idea was to copy what someone else she knew had done - basically lip-sync to Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas". But if you think about it, that works because there are lots of different voices on the record for lots of different faces to mime to.
17 people all singing at different times, but Noddy Holder's voice emerging in every case simply wouldn't have looked right, so I got (nearly) everyone singing and whilst some of the voices might be a bit "off" it is at least authentic (even if lip sync'd) and I'm proud to say all the harmonies were us as well - only the instruments were from a backing track.

As a video maker I didn't want to settle for just people standing in front of microphones (as the other video had) so I gave thought to illustrating each line with a tableau. The Slade song was just about perfect for this. And when we came to think about the following year, no other Christmas song has nearly as much scope for doing that.

There is a shorter edit which improves it a little. The version you see here is true to the Slade record but in another edit I remove one of the repeat choruses and, as usual when you shorten a film, it makes it just that little bit better.
Dave Watterson wrote: PS I arranged to put the film itself on here rather than just the URL - pour encourager les autres.
Excellent!

Let's see what others can come up with for the holidays.

I think re-enacting famous Christmas stories/pantomimes with family members taking on different roles must be favourite - particularly if there are young children/grandchildren around.
Tim
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Thanks for a great movie Tim. I was having a bit of a rubbish day until I saw this - you've fair cheered me up!!
Brian Saberton
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Delighted to be of service. Hope tomorrow's a better day for you.
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Is this the film which won Best Editing in the North Thames awards?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:Is this the film which won Best Editing in the North Thames awards?
Yes :oops: I know, I know, you're wondering what that says about the standard of editing of the other films :lol:
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Far from it!
Well done on your success. The Christmas film depends on a lot more than just the editing, but without neat cutting it would not work half so well.

Dave
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

You're too kind, Dave. But your words of encouragement are much appreciated.
Tim
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Wow !!! just seen this..fantastic :lol: nothing like having a family up for a good laugh..excellent..
the only good singer we have is the dog :lol: but thats another story
great work tim
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

John - the BIAFF (British International Film & Video Festival) judged felt the same way and awarded it 4-stars. What's more it was shown at the Sunday Gala Show to break up a rather solemn series of top award-winning films.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Just noticed this - Last month I went to Romania on a kind of working Holiday, and made a video Blog every day I was there. The format could certainly be an alternative to a "holiday film".

I started having never done anything like it before, and filmed during the day, edited during the evening, and then uploaded from Romania that evening.

As the week went on, I heard that I had around 100 people who would wait for that night's update, visiting Youtube every hour to see if it had arrived!

The quality of first one was very rough, but as the week progressed, I learned from my mistakes, and I hope you can see that the quality and style improves? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Wow! Touching, heart-warming, personal filming. It is terrifying to think that is happening within the EU. It is inspiring to see and hear that "ordinary" people (and film star people) can go there, be upbeat, help and make personal contact.

When we talk about films where content is more important that technical style ... this is a prime example.

Your style does develop over the series without losing the sense personal involvement.

I need a break before I can really try to write about it.

Watch, enjoy and admire, everyone ...