Jerky Scrolling Titles

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
John C

Jerky Scrolling Titles

Post by John C »

I have switched over to VisTitle with Edius 6
I have a large screen of Credits and tried to scroll them. They went through very fast.
I could not find out how to lengthen default time period for the title so I time lasped it to a third. This gave people time to read their own name, however the scrolling is jerky. I know their is a solution but i cannot find my notes for curing this.

Please help :roll:

KR

John C :roll:
Mike Shaw

Re: Jerky Scrolling Titles

Post by Mike Shaw »

I know nothing whatsoever about using Edius, but two things come to mind...

First if your title is a 'static' titler that has rolling/crawl credit options, then I suggest you simply lengthen the title clip on the timeline track - by (presumably the same with Edius) grabbing (mouse click and hold) the end of the clip and dragging it further along the timeline. With many editors, that is the way to extend a title (it must be extended to make it slower - if it rushes through in 5 seconds, it will go slower - half the speed - if it takes 10 seconds). Put another way, if the title is to play through more slowly, it will take longer to play through. So needs more 'length' on the timeline. It may also be possible/necessary to define the length of the title within the editor: the editor I use works that way, and then creates a video clip to the required length which must be added to the timeline.

Secondly, the reason why the slo-mo version of the title jerked could be that you didn't choose to interpolate between frames. As I say, I don't know Edius, but it is a substantial program and I'm sure the option to interpolate between frames, however it is worded, will be available. (An Edius user can confirm or deny that). Without interframe interpolation, extending a clip to be three times longer means that the frames, instead of passing by at 25 a second, are passing by at around 8 frames a second in effect - each frame will be repeated twice more to provide the extended length. This will show to the eye as a 'jerk' - hence the jerky movement. Interpolation would Iin effect) 'morph' between the frames, and make the movement appear smoother.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The default duration for titles and stills is specified from the
Settings menu > User Settings > Source then amend the time from the default 00:00:02:00 (hh:mm:ss:ff) to whatever you like.

To change the length of an individual title right-click on it in the timeline and choose Duration then amend the hh:mm:ss:ff setting as required.

OR much more simply do what Mike said: grab the end of the title and drag it along the timeline to stretch it to as long as necessary.

A little trial and error should enable you to find a speed at which the credits do not shudder. Of course if you have made a horror film shuddering might be appropriate ...

Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

.... but remove the timewarp/slo-mo before you change the length of the title.