Camcorder for Dave ... and other beginners. Help, please!

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Dave Watterson

Camcorder for Dave ... and other beginners. Help, please!

Post by Dave Watterson »

I've had a small Sony camcorder for a few years and it has developed the dreaded "Sony sticking door" syndrome. I need to replace it quickly.

I shoot very little original material, but use a camcorder a lot as a deck to load movies into my computer. For example I am in the process of helping to subtitle British films for the UNICA festival.

Therefore I do not need anything fancy for shooting - low-light, direct viewfinder etc not important - but it should handle MiniDV tape, be capable of handling SD and AVCHD and have Firewire or USB in and out.

It would be nice to have:
a mic input
ability to record video to memory card

I realise specs and prices change every month or so, but for me and all the other absolute beginners out there: what do you guys recommend?

Dave
tom hardwick

Re: Camcorder for Dave ... and other beginners. Help, please

Post by tom hardwick »

The camcorder you describe doesn't exist Dave. There are MiniDV camcorders that record in HDV or DV, and some which can record in HDV to CF at the same time.
AVCHD is generally recorded to SDHC card or internal HDD, and these camcorders don't have Firewire as you're expected to plug the camera USB into your computer or simply pop the card into your PC's card reader.

I think you just need a MiniDV camcorder (or VCR) as any AVCHD you'll get will be on flash memory. As MiniDV cameras aren't made any more you'll have to advertise for one in the classifieds on this site.

tom.
col lamb

Re: Camcorder for Dave ... and other beginners. Help, please

Post by col lamb »

Dave

I have a MiniDV camcorder that is in good condition and for the last three years only been used to capture my MiniDV tapes onto the hard drive.

Its a small Sony palmcorder DCR-PC100 with analogue and digital input and output, sockets for external mike and headphones, lcd panel and viewfinder, remote, and I have a spare battery

PM me if interested
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb