Copyright Material

A warm welcome to all. Here we talk about films, which people put onto YouTube or Vimeo and embed here. The idea is to allow useful, friendly discussion.
Silverfox

Copyright Material

Post by Silverfox »

If A Non-Professional Musician Friend of Mine Sang, and Played a Song, which was Originally Sung By "Elvis Presley" and is Currently under Copyrighted Material,, And I Recorded the event on my Camcorder, and added it to some of my own "Captured Clips" Could I show it to a Group of Friends in A Public Place, without any charge or cost , would I be in Breach of Copyrighted Material....

Please Reply...
Silverfox...
Mike Shaw

Re: Copyright Material

Post by Mike Shaw »

My understanding of the situation is that the Performing Rights belong to the singers/players (the Royalty aspect), whereas whoever wrote the song still owns the copyright for it, and would (probably) expect a copyright fee. This is what makes performing out-of-copyright pieces so attractive amongst musicians - no fees to pay.

I remember years ago in the days of variety and music hall (yes, I do remember!) that comedians and so on, if they didn't have their own signature tune were all played onto stage with the same out-of-copyright song (and the name of it escapes me although the tune I can hear quite clearly in my head - I think it was called 'Happy Days are Here Again').

The question is a bit clouded by the Friends aspect (it would be like singing a song on a coach trip I imagine - who would find out?) - 'in a public place' - if the public are invited to be there, then I think the 'rules' apply.

Consider music for a wedding video - that is for 'friends and family', yet commercial music should be covered for Royalty and Copyright.

I always put myself in the position of the person who created the music etc as part of their 'living'. Great to hear your work played everywhere - but if there is no income from it ...