AVCHD

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Cross

AVCHD

Post by Dave Cross »

Hi Guys,

I know that AVCHD has been a topic of conversation on here for quite a while now and having read Col Lambs article in Augusts issue of FVM I knew things wouldn't be easy. I have just purchased the Panasonic HDC TM700 and what an awesome little fellar it is the quality is truly breathtaking when played back through an HDMI cable on our 50 inch HD TV. My problems start when trying to edit the footage !! I'm having a nightmare to be honest. My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, quad core, 4gb ram and my editing package is Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I can get the .mts files into premiere eventually but they are struggling and stuttering and won't play smoothly. The most frustrating part is that I purchased a copy of Pinnacles Studio 14 from PC World for £32 and it loads the files and plays them no problem ? I do not really want to have to start learning a new editing software package all over again after years of using premiere pro and being comfortable with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to system requirements and why does the lesser pinnacle capture fine ?
regards,

Dave cross
Mike Shaw

Re: AVCHD

Post by Mike Shaw »

[start advertising promotion mode/] Ha! What would be a good idea is to book for the IAC AGM we're (SERIAC) holding in Worthing in October ... the Workshop is on AVCHD editing - and Blu Ray authoring. Of course, we have a stack of events and 'fun and games' planned for the weekend - but if you're nearby, you could book just for the workshop. :-(
[/end advertising promotion mode]
Dave Cross

Post by Dave Cross »

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I'm miles away in Manchester but i'm hoping someone can talk Col Lamb into doing something similar up here in the north west

Dave
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Hi Dave

Long time no see

I am presenting an evening on AVCHD/editing/transcoding/storing/output options etc on September the 9th at Preston Movie Makers, starting at 19.45 in the William Wilding Galloway Hall, Brackenbury Road Fulwwod. It is just off the main A6 s www.prestonmoviemakers.co.uk for a map showing the location.

I am repeating the evening at Morecambe Bay Movie Makers on Monday the 25th October.

In the meantime download a trial copy of Cineform Neoscene which is a transcoder and convert the native AVCHD files into a file format the Premiere can edit easier, if you like it then you can purchase it, but before you by Neoscene by far the best action is to buy Edius Neo Booster from Simon at Siren Technology in Bury and edit using that.

The next issue of FVM has the follow up article on AVCHD and that should be in the post shortly. I cover editing, transcoders etc.

If you are having problems then you can always give me a ring my telephone number is the same as you have and I am still at the same address in Preston that you have been too, unfortunately I have lost your number.

The offer to attend the meeting is open to all who would like to learn more, those of you in the North West know where PMM are and if any of you have been to one of my IAC Technoforum events at Altrincham know what to expect.

Regards to all
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Cross

Post by Dave Cross »

Hi Col,

Thanks so much for that you are a top man. I work away a lot but if I can make any of those dates I will definitely attend

Best regards,

Dave