Cassette wont load

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
romft

Cassette wont load

Post by romft »

Hi all. Has anyone had experiences with the the mini dv tape not loading. I have a canon HV 20 which wont let me install my tapes be it for playback or recording. When I try to install the tape I push the the shutter close and wait for it to drop into place. This is followed by a short pause then the error message "remove the tape" The holder then opens and finally 5 beeps from the camera. I have tried resetting the camera but that had no effect. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.
tom hardwick

Re: Cassette wont load

Post by tom hardwick »

I wonder - do you get any error codes (along with the message) up on the HV20's screen when this happens? If you do, type it into google and see what others have to say about it. I'd suspect that the feed or take-up spools are not being driven correctly and to save damaging the tape the mechanism goes into automatic 'reject' mode.

Have you put the Canon to a lot of use? It might just need a service.

tom.
romft

Post by romft »

tom hardwick wrote:I wonder - do you get any error codes (along with the message) up on the HV20's screen when this happens? If you do, type it into google and see what others have to say about it. I'd suspect that the feed or take-up spools are not being driven correctly and to save damaging the tape the mechanism goes into automatic 'reject' mode.

Have you put the Canon to a lot of use? It might just need a service.

tom.
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. No error codes just remove the cassette. I did google it but to no avail. It seems a common fault with the HV20 and everybody suggests getting it repaired. I live in Newcastle where there are no repair shops that I'm aware of. I would send it off but they charge £40 to look at it and if it's less than a hundred they just go ahead and do it. I was hoping there would be a quick fix but apparently not. It hasn't been used that much but perhaps a service wouldn't do it any harm. Thanks for taking time out to respond if I find out what the cause is I'll let you know for future reference.

Romft
ned c

Post by ned c »

There is a website dedicated to the Canon HV 20 (and the later tape models) www.hv20.com if you haven't posted the question there it may be worth a try

ned c
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

email our (pendle Movie Makers) member cgreen4391@aol.com or phone 01282 613772 to see if he can help.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
romft

Post by romft »

Hi Pete.

Managed to get it sorted. I found a place in Newcastle that does video repairs. The problem was damage to the main power supply. The cost for repair is about £70. (ouch) Thanks to all of you who took time out to reply to my problem its much appreciated.

Gordon.