DVD burners

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Re: DVD burners

Post by Peter Copestake »

I too would like to see this in FVM, ie on one bit of paper that I can keep until the next more up-to-date article comes out!
Suggest it should be in two sections eg 1. Basic. You've got a burner that the person who built your computer put in. Before using it check that it is set for ... and, if possible with so many different programmes where you find those settings.
2. Advanced, for those who understand these things enough to risk changing settings.

But I add my thanks to those who answered the first post so fully.
I'll just check that somewhere on mine it says "BEST".
But while we are on the subject - once only, perhaps because I don't often use fades anyway, a fade to black that was smooth on the tape looked like falling black dust on the DVD. Anyone know why?
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

DVD uses MPEG2 compression, where the I frames (complete frames) are spaced apart and the intermediate frames are made up of the differences between these I frames.

As such MPEG compression looks its best when not much in the frame is changing - i.e. a talking head on an evenly lit background. If there's lots of movement within the frame (racing cars, waving grass) then you'll be able to pause the DVD and see the MPEG2 blockiness as it scrambles to make sense of the rapidly changing information.

Fades and dissolves come into this category, where every frame is different from the last. In fact often DVDs encoded at 5 mbps can look as good as DVDs encoded at 8 mbps - until you get to the fades, The greater the compression (5 is greater than 8 ) the grainier the fades.

tom.
Last edited by tom hardwick on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

An article on MPEG, Blu Ray, DVDs, down scaling, codecs etc is now in production.

So far it has 1200 words, I am writing it more as a reference piece, including basic terminology and settings, how the coding takes place, pitfalls, how to get the best results, where to find more detailed instruction or tutorials.

Simple and not too heavy, more practical than theoretical.

There is one major problem in trying to write any article to give advice on editing and processing in that we now have so many versions of editing software and so many producers of said software that it is hard to be specific since I only have experience of the software packages I use or have used and that is all versions of Premiere from 4.2 to CS3, Premiere Elements, Vegas, Video Studio, Edius 1,2 & 3 and Edius Neo 2.5
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Thanks again, Tom.
Peter Copestake
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

If I’m having problems with my computer, I call for my friendly IT man.

If I hear a “funny noise” coming from my car’s engine, I get a mechanic to fix it.

If I burn a video project to DVD and the burned quality is abysmal, I call in…er, I’m not sure!

On 7 August I started a forum under the subject heading “DVD burners”. It stemmed from the fact that I’d noticed how my home-burned DVDs had lost a certain clarity and sharpness in recent months.

Tom Hardwick, Dave Watterson, Col Lamb, Ned C, and Leif, all offered great advice:

* Tell us what NLE system you're using and how you go about converting that timeline to DVD?

* CBR at 8Mb is usually the best setting for practical purposes.

* Older computers used "IDE" connections but newer ones use "SATA" connections.

* I'd say that it was your MPEG2 encoder that was degrading your DVD experience.

* I export the timeline as a Quicktime movie' drag into Toast and set for DVD.

Dave started his EXCELLENT explanation of the wonders of DVD burning with “Baffled yet, Ian?” In a word, yes. (Though Dave and Tom both commendably talked-through some of the mysteries in a clear, concise way.)

Col noted: “I've seen hundreds of very badly encoded DVD's, primarily because the person pressing the buttons does not know any better.” He might have been painting a word-picture of yours truly!

I subscribe – well, more or less - to the view of Lee Prescott, in the same forum: “…technicity (sic) drives me nuts!”

I agree with my son, a physicist, who observes: “Serious videography, when discussed, can be annoyingly complicated – and a bit nerdy, anorakish – for the faint-hearted.” I’m certainly the latter!

I wish to create projects and (to quote Tom) “wonderfully sharp DVDs, as this is how 99.9% of your audience will see your [my] thoughts”.

So, to return to my original pondering: Are there paid professionals out there who can come to my home, sit in from my editing set-up, and do all the things that are necessary (including many of the things suggested above) to get me to the point where I will be able to produce “wonderfully sharp DVDs” at the simple click of a button?

I live in Kings Langley, Herts, which is midway between Watford and Hemel Hempstead.

Thanks.

Ian Woodward
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Sounds like your son Tom's the man for you Ian. He set up your DVD burning system the first time and all went well, then the problems started and we all suspected the burner itself (lens? age?). He's probably easier to get hold of too than a 'paid professional'.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

My son, Phil, is busy with one of his new companies, HipSnip (www.hipsnip.com), and very little free time to spare at the moment, hence the reason I need someone to come to my home to help out with the burning. I have a few other issues I need sorting out as well.

Ian