Luxmen X6 LEDPro on-camera video light

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Wagner

Luxmen X6 LEDPro on-camera video light

Post by Peter Wagner »

I am thinking of buying a Luxmen X6 LEDPro on-camera video light as seen at the IOV Convention. It would be fitted to A Sony A1 and used for general low light level filming. Has anyone used one of these and got any comments? A Paglight with its battery pack would be too bulky to use.
tom hardwick

Re: Luxmen X6 LEDPro on-camera video light

Post by tom hardwick »

Well I've been for a look at the light on line Peter, but as my article in Positive Image pointed out, until you actually hold it and test it it's hard to say how good it's going to be in spread, evenness and colour balance.

Some thoughts. A panel of LEDs is a good idea - getting away from the 'point light source' that so hurts the eyes. It also runs on normal AA cells, and runs cool being LEDs.

I can't see the point of the barn doors and would think an 'artificial light' filter and / or a diffuser would have been more useful. The filter they supply will soak a stop I'd say.

It's $270 Oz and I've no idea what that is in ££, but it sounds dear to me alongside the Sony 20-DW2 light.

tom.
Peter Wagner

Post by Peter Wagner »

Tom, thankyou for your helpful comments. I agree that the barn doors don't add much. They probably just add a little extra protection to the glass in front of the LEDS. Maybe I could modify one to become a lower temperature filter? I believe the light output is almost twice that of the Sony lamp you mentioned, and I do like the idea of using standard AA cells.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Now that's a good idea - have one barn door a CC filter and the other a diffuser.

A lot of LED lamps claim high outputs, but these are generally the 'white light' variety. Once you've filtered them to make them match the artificial light you're most likely to be working in, they lose a lot of that light.

The 20-DW2 starts out as an artificial light, so needs no such filtration. Did you read my Positive Image article on lights in the June 2009 FVM?

tom.
Peter Wagner

Post by Peter Wagner »

Hi Tom

Yes I have read your excellent article and have just looked further into the Sony 20DW2. I can see no mention of it being compatible (whatever that means) with the Sony HVR A1E camera I have. I understand what you mean about the colour correction filter filtering out a lot of the shorter wavelengths of light. I guess I could get away with not using a filter if there is virtually no ambient light. But when there is a mix, I can see that I would have to filter. In that situation though, perhaps I could afford to sacrifice some of the light anyway. I have to admit that I am still tempted by the Luxmen (or same under another badge e.g. DSM Pro Led 1) due to the internal battery, low power and heat. There is a filter pack for it, but I also need to check that it will fit onto the accessory shoe of the A1E.

Thanks for your help and advice.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The 20DW2 comes in two versions Peter one taking the NPF Sony Info-lithiums and the other (I'm pretty sure) taking the battery type that powers your A1, so it would be compatible. The lamp costs about £75.

But I agree - this halogen lamp uses much more power than an LED lamp, and of course gets a lot hotter. Not very green. I've had mine for years, dropped it twice (while on) and still haven't replaced any of the bulbs.

tom.
hotgossip

Post by hotgossip »

Hi, I have purchased the X6 LEDPRO light. It's well built but as with many things there is room for inprovement for instance the barn doors, - bit of a waste of time if you ask me, but they do give that professional image when you are kitted up :lol: The switch is painful!!! it's a rotary dimmer switch and there is no secondary switch to simply switch on and off. :evil: So you may find that if you have set your dimmer to a certain level of light chances are after switching off it won't be the same level of light when you switch it back on. Personally I am going to fit a secondary switch to my unit when the garrantee runs out!

Over all it a good little light, batteries last ages and it of course cool to run. The light is very clean and give a nice even spread. Perfect for filming up to a range of around 2-3 mtrs. 8)

Hope that helps you,
Best regards
Nigel
Gregory Audio Visual Ltd
Peter Wagner

Post by Peter Wagner »

Thanks for your feedback. I have in fact purchased the lamp now although it is badged differently. I agree with your comments but not a major problem to me. I am pleased with the lamp although it is a little pricey.

Regards

Peter