TA-100 Tripod Adapter for Canon XL2

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Ian Woodward

TA-100 Tripod Adapter for Canon XL2

Post by Ian Woodward »

I have a Canon XL2 and a Vinten V3AS-CP2F Vision 3as Tripod System.

The camera’s manual refers to the two-piece Canon TA-100 Tripod Adapter to allow a quick mount/unmount of the XL2 onto/from a tripod.

I’d really like to be assured that the adapter plate will fit onto the Vinten tripod before I buy the adapter.

Can anyone possibly help me with this query?

Ian Woodward
tom hardwick

Re: TA-100 Tripod Adapter for Canon XL2

Post by tom hardwick »

If the Vinten is really a stills camera tripod and has a perfectly normal top plate (ie predominently flat with a captured 1/4" attachment bolt to go up into the camera) then adding Canon's quick release should be a doddle. If the Vinten is a video tripod it may well be designed to be used with its own quick-release plate.

Until I see the tripod I can't offer more than this.

tom.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Hi Tom

Yes, the Vinten tripod is for video use only…this particular model was recommended to me by a cameraman at the BBC's Natural History Unit in Bristol (wildlife videography is a particular passion of mine).

The tripod does indeed have its own plate - but it comes with just one screw to attach to the camera. This can make me nervous for two reasons: the camera sometimes twists on the plate, and (question) will the screw come undone and the camera come crashing off?

The XL2 plate sold by Canon has FOUR screws for attaching to the camera; the other plate of course attaches to the tripod.

So that’s why I was thinking of changing plates: the daunting issue of the single screw on the Vinten plate.

Ian
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I feel you're worrying unnecessarily Ian. The plate that fixes to the bottom of your camera should also have a sprung pin that engages with a hole about an inch away from the tripod thread, and this stops the plate turning.

But even without this it shouldn't turn as you'll have it done up pretty tightly and the rubber interfaces between camera base plate and tripod quick-release plate should make for a firm bond. The screw can never come out of the camera, because it has 'nowhere to go'.

tom.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks Tom.

Your last sentence ("The screw can never come out of the camera, because it has 'nowhere to go'.") is brilliant in terms of reassuring me.

Of course you're right - I never thought of it that way!

Ian
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

I once considered the TA-100 adaptor not for the reasons that Ian states but because the XL2 is front heavy with the standard lens and even more so with lens accessories. The TA-100 allows the tripod pivot point to be moved forward for better balance. I now use a Libec tripod that allows enough movement of the mount to get a reasonable balance. The drawbacks that I see to using the adaptor are that I don't think the security of the mount would be improved as I believe that the base of the adaptor is mounted to the tripod plate using the standard tripod screw and this is just as likely (or unlikely!) to come undone so that the whole camera and adaptor would then come adrift. Also the camera part of the adaptor is screwed to the camera sole using four screws and this plate covers the normal fitting so if you use more than one tripod or other camera steady then this plate would have to be removed each time you changed unless you had more than one TA-100 for quick changes. (expensive)

Chris
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks for your helpful message, Chris, but I think for the moment I'll stick with the release plate that comes wth the Vinten tripod.

It's easier than all the options!

Ian