Rewinding tapes

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Brian Saberton

Re: Rewinding tapes

Post by Brian Saberton »

I agree with Michael that a dedicated tape deck and only downloading what you need when editing a major project is a more satisfactory way of doing things. However my own situation is that I don't make enough films to justify the high cost of buying a dedicated tape deck. I used to only download the parts of shots I needed, but for my current purposes I find it easier to let the software capture all the material which it breaks down into individual shots automatically.
Brian Saberton
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Ooops...you're right, Tom, there IS a brightness option in the menu - but it doesn't appear to be functioning.

Eg –

I press: Display Setup.

Then: BRGHTNESS is right at the top, followed by TV screen, Displays, Data code, etc.

I can adjust and fiddle with all of these without any trouble at all, but the BRIGHNESS line refuses to let me adjust it.

Having pressed the SET dial on Brightness, I should be able to turn the SET dial to adjust the brightness level to the L or R, but it won't budge from its present position:

ie –

BRIGHTNESS . . . - - -
[3 dots, followed by 3 dashes.]

As I say, I can adjust all the other settings on this menu page, but not the one I want to adjust.

Annoying, or what!

Ian
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Ian, most camcorders have a 'reset' button that clears the CPU brain of headaches and lets it start over. Push that and see if the brightness slider awakes from slumber.

After you've pushed reset you'll have to check that the audio is changed back to 16 bit fromn the factory default of 12 bit.

tom.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Tom, I've just checked the instruction manual for the Canon MV750i.

This manual (which also serves the MV730i, MV700i and MV690) states that items in the Menu that are purple are not available - and, alas, the BRIGHTNESS line is in purple.

There is also no Reset button. I've checked the manual's index and been throigh every page: no Reset button. Maybe, with the camera being over five years old, there just wooipldn't be one, anyeway?

Unless any former MV750i users no better and can enlighten me!

But I am only using the camera as a rewind deck, so I can honestly live with it.

Ian