Eumig Mark DL

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

Eumig Mark DL

Post by tom hardwick »

I've had a Eumig Mark DL mute standard-8 and Super-8 projector for many years but it's finally come to a creaking, groaning halt. A tear-down shows the only (only!) fault is the main drive motor, which appears to have turned its last.

I've modified this projector so that it produces the best film transfers possible. I've fitted a much more modern dichroic lamp and diffuser (to even up the light spread), opened up the gates with a tiny file, fitted a much better lens and fixed the speed at 16.7 fps.

So ideally I'd like to find another Mark DL to either use its motor or transfer all my modifications over to the new machine. Just wondering if any of you out there know if one's going as I'm part way through a big digital transfer job.

tom.
granfer

Re: Eumig Mark DL

Post by granfer »

Tom,
I'm not sure (about to research this) if the DL motor is the same as the 600/700/800 Series motor or not, but I have one of those motors in very good condition complete with the speed change ball assembly, fan and fan enclosure. This was removed from an 810D which I am modifying for Transfer with a different drive system, and runs perfectly.
Can you email me a picture of your motor for comparison?
blagdonian (at) btinternet (dot) com
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'll photograph it right away and get it in the (email) post to you. Thank you so much for your help.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Isn't the WWW w-w-wonderful? One plea for help on this forum and my silent cry is heard by hundreds, and in this case responded to immediately.

Martin sent me the Eumig motor in the post and within minutes it was fitted, up humming and running. Then there was the far more time consuming fine speed adjustment to eliminate flicker due to the projector's three bladed shutter and now it's all fixed, mended, and projecting Standard-8 film for another day.

Thank you all for your offers of help.

tom.
granfer

Post by granfer »

Pleased to be of help... and thank you for also helping me.

granfer(Martin Jones)
granfer

Post by granfer »

Tom,
Worth bearing in mind a useful tip with these machines to make the avoidance of flicker easier to obtain...
Because the speed will vary slightly with any changes in mains frequency and in the mechanical drive it pays to be able to alter the speed smoothly and easily during the actual transfer: something that is virtually impossible with the mechanical speed control knob.
Just cut one of the motor supply wires (either will do) and wire an ordinary domestic light dimmer (Thyristor control) to the two ends. Then set the MECHANICAL speed control slightly high (say 18 fps approx) and use the Dimmer to slow the motor until flicker disappears. This gives you an easy up and down speed control at your fingertips.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thanks for the tip Martin, but know what? I've never needed to adjust the speed of the MK DL once I've accurately found it. I might just be lucky with my mains voltages, but I suspect that the Eumig's wide shutter blades give a little lee-way in the speed, and that flicker can't be detected between frame rates from 16.5 fps to 16. 8, say.

I do use pinch roller cleaning fluid on the two rubber speed plates though, and also on the drive shaft sphere. This keeps slippage, swappage and scrappage to a minimum.

tom.