AVCHD camcorders

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

Re: AVCHD camcorders

Post by tom hardwick »

Col, I'm struggling to find out how the NX5 and the AX2000 differ. I suspect that the AX2k has had some menu options stripped out (in the same way as the FX1 was a somewhat neutered Z1) but I haven't found what the exact differences are yet.

I've had a very good play with the NX5 though, and a long talk to the Sony rep at BVE (Earl's Court, Tues).

Here's some thoughts on the NX5. A worthy successor to the Z5, though Sony assure me it isn't - it's an added model in the line-up. They keep saying this.

The on-screen alphanumerics are really tiny, and can't be made larger. A retrograde step from the Z5 in my vies, although the hide less of the picture by being in such a tiny font.

The combination of OIS and EIS is very interesting indeed. With all the Steadyshot options turned on I could shake the camera pretty violently on its tripod and was astounded at the stability of the image. Of course this goes hand-in-hand with image stabiliser artifacts, but there you go.

20x zoom is delightful, 3 NDs an excellent idea, aperture ring around the lens not as good as the Z1's beautifully damped alloy knob. Two card slots make the Panasonoc 151 look iffy.

Price about a fiver more than the Z5 - though should in reality be a lot cheaper with the deletion of that expensive, complex DV deck.

I really liked the camera. And good on Sony for letting it record to the industry standard SD card as well as their Memorystick.

tom.